Spoiler?

dansinfiddl

Hey y'all,

My sister introduced me to this activity a few weeks ago. I went with her to find a cache and leave a travel bug. I love to hike and this seems like another good excuse to put on my boots and take off. I'm not very familiar with using a GPS, never even held one, but I think I could learn.

I was reading some of the descriptions for caches in my area and noticed the word "spoiler" several times. What exactly does this mean in GC-speak?

Thanks

Hey y'all,

My sister introduced me to this activity a few weeks ago. I went with her to find a cache and leave a travel bug. I love to hike and this seems like another good excuse to put on my boots and take off. I'm not very familiar with using a GPS, never even held one, but I think I could learn.

I was reading some of the descriptions for caches in my area and noticed the word "spoiler" several times. What exactly does this mean in GC-speak?

Thanks

I spoiler is something that may give away the location of a cache.

it is a hint of the form -

look behind the third tree to the left of the light pole.

It's a give away -

there is a controversy over what a hint should be - a spoiler or just that a hint, that makes you think about what it really means

I prefer a real hint - there are many that believe it should be a spoiler.

Spoiler for spoiling the fun if you see it when you don't want to - that is why they are lightly encrypted.

The cache we went to was in a fairly busy park. Luckily, it early morning on the 3rd of July and there weren't many people on the trail. However, in the park that over looks the trail there were at least two bus loads of people. I think we got it hidden without anyone seeing us. When we saw anyone approach we would go to the side of the trail for a "botany lesson". I think she knows what poison ivy and kudzu look like now. The clue we had for one of the caches on this trail didn't give us much help. We still had to look for it.

It was great fun and now I'm trying to figure out how to get a good GPS, cheap!

Happy hunting!

there is a controversy over what a hint should be - a spoiler or just that a hint, that makes you think about what it really means

I prefer a real hint - there are many that believe it should be a spoiler.

For me it depends on the rating of the cache. If it's a 1-2 star difficulty, the encrypted hint, if provided should be very specific, to verify that either I'm having a really crappy day, or the cache is missing. 2.5-3.5 stars, I don't care either way, just give me something. 4-5 star difficulty, just give me a gently nudge in the right direction, don't ruin the thrill of the find.

Back to the original topic, I always considered a "Spoiler" to be a give-away in the LOGS. The encrypted hint has nothing to do with "Spoiler" in my opinion :blink: