black bags

johnypic

i have just read of another cacher who wrapped his tupperbox in a black plastic bag . he said since doing so this practice is now frowned upon. could someone please enlighten me as i have done the same thing but can`t see anyharm in it. it`s part of a black plastic bag. ken "the cachman"

k. j. picton

The qustion is why would you do it? To disguise it as garbage? If you have a quality, solid container, there is no need for the plastic bag.

Besides, have you ever reached into a slimy, wet plastic bag to extract the cache? Pretty disgusting. After a few finds, the bag is full of holes anyway, so what's the point? It doesn't add to the water resistance and sometimes holds the water in, making matters worse.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

The problem is that it's gross, and it looks like garbage. If I'm caching, and I see a plastic bag under a bush, am I really going to want to look inside? It's probably wet and dirty, and I've got no guarantee that it's the cache rather than the infamous bag of doots or something. If a given tupperware container can't withstand the elements for long, will a garbage bag hold up significantly longer? (Name-brand Tupperware is significantly more durable; in any case, a lid with a very definite and firm lock is essential.) Really, you can't beat an ammo box for durability, but if the size or nature of the hiding spot dictates something less durable, I guess the owner should resign him/herself to swapping it out every few months. Exposure to rain/heat/cold etc will do in most plastic relatively quickly.

I'm glad that sticking caches in a bag isn't common in our neck of the woods. Yuk.

I've found several caches that were wrapped in plastic bags. One I actually ignored and refused to unwrap because it was in an area with more garbage on the ground around it so I thought it might have been a bum's lunch or something. Went back the next day and poked at it with a stick. When it went thud instead of squish, I decided to be brave and open it.

Surprise! A cache disguised as trash! So much fun [:)]

Found one on a perfectly dry day, had been for over a week, and it was hot out. Opened the garbage bag to get the cache and ended up with nasty cache-sweat all over my arm.

Just use a nice container. The finders will be very appreciative of that.

Signature? I don't need no stinkin signature!!!!

I used a black plastic bag not to protect the plastic container which is a quality Rubbermaid but to hid it.as camouflage. It was hidden in a bush the only real hiding spot along a bike and walking trail. The clear container with a white or blue top (I forget now) was noticeable if you looked into the bush. But you could bearly see it inside the plastic bag within the dark shadows of the bush. After many many months it's still there.

No one's complained about my cache or container. I think it's appropriate like everything else - under the right circumstances.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

I used a black plastic bag not to protect the plastic container which is a quality Rubbermaid but to hid it.as camouflage. It was hidden in a bush the only real hiding spot along a bike and walking trail. The clear container with a white or blue top (I forget now) was noticeable if you looked into the bush. But you could bearly see it inside the plastic bag within the dark shadows of the bush. After many many months it's still there.

No one's complained about my cache or container. I think it's appropriate like everything else - under the right circumstances.

Alan

OK, I suppose they can have their uses, but its still nasty to stick your hand into a plastic bag that is all wet inside.

You could try painting the container instead. Go to the hardware store, buy some spray paint, and spray away.

Signature? I don't need no stinkin signature!!!!

quote:
used a black plastic bag not to protect the plastic container which is a quality Rubbermaid but to hid it.as camouflage. It was hidden in a bush the only real hiding spot along a bike and walking trail. The clear container with a white or blue top (I forget now) was noticeable if you looked into the bush. But you could bearly see it inside the plastic bag within the dark shadows of the bush. After many many months it's still there.

I hope the practice doesn't catch on in our area. I've been to places where it's quite common and big YUK.

How 'bouts a little camo tape, or paint, or choose a container that isn't so obvious to passersby.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

I found a cache recently that was a normal tupperware container painted a dull black. It looked so much like one of those black rat traps that I thought twice before grabbing it. Amazing how something in plain view can deceive the eye.

As for trash bags it is discouraged, but I have seen how effective they can be. People will moan about a cache they find in the woods, but if it looks like a discarded trash bag - people tend not to care one bit.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location