Sig Item Cd

Have any of you ever recommended a piece of software, or even loaned one to a friend, and then they got a virus, and blamed it on the loast thing they installed (they got from you)?

I've quit recommending any sort of software to people, because of this, some are just too stupid to realize the application I recommended didn't have anything to do with it.

On to my point, I make music as a hobby, and was contemplating burning my full catalog to a CD or MD and placing some of them in caches. Possibly even adding some of my artwork to the CD as a bonus (I was making an adventure game, but that is on hold) Bottom line is, if some yahoo is surfing around the net with IE, or using Outlook for his email program (picking on these because they not only suck, they are good targets for bad things), and gets a virus warning, or their computer starts to melt, I don't want anyone to come looking at me and my little CD, blaming me on their problems. I personally don't care about their computer problems, I just don't need the bad press :D

That's a bit harsh, sorry, I've just had bad experiences with clueless people.

Personally, I wouldnt stick a CD in my computer that I found in a cache, from a cacher whose name I didnt recognize. I have had WAY too many problems with viruses and trojans.

I understand where you are coming from though. Someone happens to get hit with a nasty worm the same day (or week) they stick one of your CDs into their computer.

I wouldn't outright blame the CD creator, because (1) it probably came from something online and (2) I was stupid for putting an unknown burned CD in my computer.

I love finding CDs in geocaches, and carry several around in the cache bag for trade items.

I've never had any problems with viruses, worms, or other unpleasantness, probably because I take appropriate precautions with my systems.

I wouldn't hesitate to trade for one of your CDs should I find one in a cache somewhere.

I picked up someone's homemade music CD at a cache once. She had an interesting voice, but her backup band was awful. I thought it was a neat kind of viral marketing idea. I don't think I'd run an executable off something I found in a cache, though.

If it was a straight-up music CD, or a series of MP3 and .jpg files, it would be hard to blame you for their troubles.

Just a thought, but if you're worried about it, you can go to CafePress and make your own through there... They do cost more (about $5) than burning your own, but they'd look professional/commercial and then you'd not have to worry so much.

Out here where we are somewhat cache poor, a CD of interesting stuff would probably be quite welcome to find. Sure beats the AOL mini-frisbees (although the cases make interesting micros :unsure:

However, everyone has a point about not wanting to stick something unknown in their computer. Certainly one burning a signature CD should NEVER use autorun.

However it's not our place to teach computer security to novices. Maybe mark such a CD as "use at your own risk", and limit the content to pictures and other multimedia files rather than executables.

Of course I'd be the type who'd want to share various nifty utilities and tools, such as waypoint management / GPS upload and download stuff, conversion programs, and such - or even some ham radio utilities and even a slide show program known to be free of spyware / adware / foistware.

Worst case would be some would become CITO'ed eventually or just used as inert swag and never viewed.

Thanks, I see i'm not alone :unsure:

There would be no executables, I have a PC, but don't use it much, it would be mp3 files and .jpg or .png files, possibly even a few quicktime movies of game cutscenes and the like.

Looks like it's about 50/50, I might put a few out, see how they are received, thanks :unsure:

You can get the music online, well, some of it, the game pictures/movies are here on my drive, and I'm kinda sceptical about releasing them...