How Do I Report Rude And Uncooperative Approvers?

mscott998

First, it is redundant to have both a logbook and a verification question on a cache. A logbook is required for physical caches, a verification question is allowed on virtual caches. Since you've placed a container, signing the logbook is all someone has to do to "prove" they visited your cache. Take off the counting rings part.

Second, your cache is placed next to a bank? Having people look for a hidden container near any type of restricted-access facility is a bad idea. Someone wandering in circles holding an electronic device outside of a bank is sure to raise the suspicions of the bank guands and the police.

Third, your cache is not the only one that was submitted this week. Actually, after a holiday weekend there are bound to be more caches requiring approval. Cache approval normally takes 24-72 hours. After a holiday weekend, you should expect a week. Since your cache has some issues, it should take longer. Every time you contact the approver, you must include the GCxxxx number, then wait at least 72 hours for a response. After a holiday weekend, wait at least a week for a response.

Fourth, you don't seem to have any evidence to back-up the allegation of rudeness. Nothing you've posted so far shows the approver to be rude. If you really believe the approver was rude, email the contact address rather than start a witch-hunt in the forums. The Groundspeak Staff can check all emails the two of you have exchanged and see what really happened. Don't smear an approver's name in the forums without facts and expect to get sympathy from us.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone
Personally, I dont see anything wrong with counting rings. I dont see a benefit, but the rules do allow it pending the cache also has a hard copy log in it, which it does.

Oh there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, like I said, i just don't get it.

Couple things,

One, if everybody starts throwing change in a fim canister and stashing it somewhere, its not uniqe and interesting, its boring. Thats part of why log books because totally required. Otherwise someone never has to maintain the cache. No log book that can be filled up, and so what if a little water gets in there, you can still tell what the coins are. (not that many would do that, but some could try)

And, many people find reading the actual logbook very interesting.

Two, if the log book is missing its obvisous right away. If some moron finds the cache and decided he wants some spare change, or a key ring, or a steel fender washer or whatever else. They take some of them, and the next person to find the cache, comes up with a different, 'wrong' count. They really did find the cache, but it can cause confusion until its figure out why/when the count changed.

i see how this can be a problem, but that is why one must upkeep their cache, if a different number is emailed then you know something is up and warants an unscheduled check. and there is a log in this cache.

First, it is redundant to have both a logbook and a verification question on a cache. A logbook is required for physical caches, a verification question is allowed on virtual caches. Since you've placed a container, signing the logbook is all someone has to do to "prove" they visited your cache. Take off the counting rings part.

Second, your cache is placed next to a bank? Having people look for a hidden container near any type of restricted-access facility is a bad idea. Someone wandering in circles holding an electronic device outside of a bank is sure to raise the suspicions of the bank guands and the police.

Third, your cache is not the only one that was submitted this week. Actually, after a holiday weekend there are bound to be more caches requiring approval. Cache approval normally takes 24-72 hours. After a holiday weekend, you should expect a week. Since your cache has some issues, it should take longer. Every time you contact the approver, you must include the GCxxxx number, then wait at least 72 hours for a response. After a holiday weekend, wait at least a week for a response.

Fourth, you don't seem to have any evidence to back-up the allegation of rudeness. Nothing you've posted so far shows the approver to be rude. If you really believe the approver was rude, email the contact address rather than start a witch-hunt in the forums. The Groundspeak Staff can check all emails the two of you have exchanged and see what really happened. Don't smear an approver's name in the forums without facts and expect to get sympathy from us.

i havend named any names.

Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?

have you ever found one like this before? that ask for the date on a penny or something? i have one that requires the date on the penny for verification, it signifies my anniversary, and the finder said they enjoyed it when the emailed me.

I checked out your hides and saw that one. That one I can deal with, it's little sappy but hey, nothing wrong with that. Here's the big question: What happens if someone who actually finds the cache forgets to email you or maybe is dyslexic and gets the date wrong. Would you delete their found it log?

no, but i will be verifying the internet logs with physical logs, if you dont sign the physical log and do post a log on line and havent emailed the number then i would

That's cool. Don't see the problem then. Maybe the approver for got about you. Who is the approver for your area? Not that it matters, I'm sure he wasn't intentionally trying to be rude. Or maybe he was, who knows. It what fashion did you hide the cache? Maybe that has something to do with it. Tell us quick while no one from your area is looking. ;)

it is along the main road in sight of a bank and an att wireless store, that is why i named it what i did

You don't have to. Many of us know who the approver is for your area

You don't have to. Many of us know who the approver is for your area

i didn't even give you my area, and i have had 3 diff approvers so far

Oh? ;)

this is what he asked,

"Drop Me A Ring Sometime"

[Click to temporarily disable]

by mscott998 [profile]

N 36° 14.312 W 115° 10.213 (WGS84)

UTM: 11S E 664424 N 4011958

or convert to NAD27 at Jeeep.com

i gues your a genius, let me make it easy for you,

Las Vegas, NV

Oh? ;)

this is what he asked,

by mscott998 [profile]

Yep, plus a quick check of your profile show that you've got hides in Las Vegas.

Oh? ;)

this is what he asked,

by mscott998 [profile]

Yep, plus a quick check of your profile show that you've got hides in Las Vegas.

lol, got me there, i dont mean to be a

donkey
im just agitated with the whole situation

Oh? ;)

this is what he asked,

by mscott998 [profile]

i gues your a genius, let me make it easy for you,

Las Vegas, NV

Yeah, I know it's in Las Vegas. I can look it up on my maps ant tell you exactly where it is...near the intersection of Craig and Clayton

and yet approver is in another state, something wrong with that? how can they get all the detailes of the cache if thay cant physically look at it.

Approvers don't actually go check on caches. It's typical for approvers to be from another state. It seems to work out just fine.

To answer the original poster's question: If at any time you believe that a site volunteer has acted inappropriately, please forward all relevant correspondence, links to the cache page, etc., and an explanation of the issue to the special e-mail address set up for this purpose: approvers at geocaching dot com. We actually encourage people to use this address and to have a Groundspeak employee double-check our work.

As for your other cache getting listed while this one was on hold, it is fairly standard procedure for reviewers to get caches listed when no issues are posed, holding the caches with questions for later on when the volume of weekend caches subsides a bit.

Please remain patient and I am sure that your cache will be looked at again when its turn comes up next.

and yet approver is in another state, something wrong with that? how can they get all the detailes of the cache if thay cant physically look at it.

So what if you had an approver in Nevada? Maybe he would live in Reno and couldn't make it down to Vegas to check on your cache before listing it?

There aren't enough approvers to visit all caches before listing them. Once in a while it will happen, but most are approved using online maps and other information.

To answer the original poster's question: If at any time you believe that a site volunteer has acted inappropriately, please forward all relevant correspondence, links to the cache page, etc., and an explanation of the issue to the special e-mail address set up for this purpose: approvers at geocaching dot com. We actually encourage people to use this address and to have a Groundspeak employee double-check our work.

As for your other cache getting listed while this one was on hold, it is fairly standard procedure for reviewers to get caches listed when no issues are posed, holding the caches with questions for later on when the volume of weekend caches subsides a bit.

Please remain patient and I am sure that your cache will be looked at again when its turn comes up next.

Theres the answer. Thanks KA.

You know maybe your right. Maybe instead of coming here and asking for advice and then deciding that your not liking what your hearing, you should just give up on this cache instead of showing some patience. Las Vegas, yes I'm a genius too I looked at your profile to see where your at will be woefully amiss of your wonderful cache. ;)

So what if you had an approver in Nevada? Maybe he would live in Reno and couldn't make it down to Vegas to check on your cache before listing it?

There aren't enough approvers to visit all caches before listing them. Once in a while it will happen, but most are approved using online maps and other information.

only ones in question should be looked apon

Like the smurf said, it does happen from time to time. Sometime they will ask a volunteer to go scope out a cache for them. Be assured of this; 99% of the time the system that GC.com has in place works very well. I think KA submitted an adequate explanation. Be patient, but also consider that whole bank thing. Might not be the best spot. Just MHO.

Edited by JMBella

You're complaining that it's taking over a week for an approval and now you want the approver to come by and check on it personally? I think you just answered your own question.

Can you imagine having to wait for an approver to come check on your cache just because there is a perceived problem? Keep in mind that the approvers are volunteers. They don't get an airfare or gas allowance to check on caches. In the large western states an approver may live several hours away. It could take weeks or months for an approver to schedule a day or weekend trip.

It's much easier to put the questionable caches on hold and approve the easy ones. When they have time, they'll get back to it.

You're complaining that it's taking over a week for an approval and now you want the approver to come by and check on it personally? I think you just answered your own question.

Can you imagine having to wait for an approver to come check on your cache just because there is a perceived problem? Keep in mind that the approvers are volunteers. They don't get an airfare or gas allowance to check on caches. In the large western states an approver may live several hours away. It could take weeks or months for an approver to schedule a day or weekend trip.

It's much easier to put the questionable caches on hold and approve the easy ones. When they have time, they'll get back to it.

i dont expect him to look at it, but if it is that questionable, why doesn't he tell me what i need to do?

i dont expect him to look at it, but if it is that questionable, why doesn't he tell me what i need to do?

I'm sure he will. Give him another day or two. You may not have to do anything.

Couple things,

One, if everybody starts throwing change in a fim canister and stashing it somewhere, its  not uniqe and interesting, its boring. Thats part of why log books because totally required. Otherwise someone never has to maintain the cache. No log book that can be filled up, and so what if a little water gets in there, you can still tell what the coins are. (not that many would do that, but some could try)

And, many people find reading the actual logbook very interesting.

Two, if the log book is missing its obvisous right away. If some moron finds the cache and decided he wants some spare change, or a key ring, or a steel fender washer or whatever else. They take some of them, and the next person to find the cache, comes up with a different, 'wrong' count. They really did find the cache, but it can cause confusion until its figure out why/when the count changed.

i see how this can be a problem, but that is why one must upkeep their cache, if a different number is emailed then you know something is up and warants an unscheduled check. and there is a log in this cache.

Exactly.

I wasn't so much as saying your's shouldn't be approved because of the rings, but pointing out possiable downsides to using such a method.

Patience.

I haven't read your email exchange with him, so I can't say for sure. Like I said earlier, he's taking care of the easy approvals right now. When he gets a chance to sit down with yours I'm sure he'll ask the questions he wants answers to (if he hasn't done so already). He might be waiting on you. Be sure to include the GCxxxx number on all emails.

Patience.

I haven't read your email exchange with him, so I can't say for sure. Like I said earlier, he's taking care of the easy approvals right now. When he gets a chance to sit down with yours I'm sure he'll ask the questions he wants answers to (if he hasn't done so already). He might be waiting on you. Be sure to include the GCxxxx number on all emails.

he has askes one question and i answered promptly.

Thats part of why log books because totally required.

Tru dat! B) And also: Why because totally sign some coin and such? ;)

Sorry Welch, I couldn't help it. B)

LOL, just don't correct them in red and send them back to me B) .

Guess its time for bed.

Good Night B)

mscott, at this point, I'd like to encourage you to go back and re-read the advice you've received from several people who are really just trying to help you understand the process, and in particular, my response as a forum moderator and site volunteer. I think your questions have been answered. Further posts will just keep everyone talking in circles, and won't do anything to get your cache listed any faster. Take a deep breath. Thanks.

mscott, at this point, I'd like to encourage you to go back and re-read the advice you've received from several people who are really just trying to help you understand the process, and in particular, my response as a forum moderator and site volunteer. I think your questions have been answered. Further posts will just keep everyone talking in circles, and won't do anything to get your cache listed any faster. Take a deep breath. Thanks.

i understand, just letting all finish their thoughts and answering question. time for bed here. thanks