How Do I Report Rude And Uncooperative Approvers?

mscott998

i placed a cache on the 3rd of july and was asked on the 6th a question about it. i answered the questions the approving official asked and didnt hear back on it, i asked the status on it again on the 10th and was told they would get to it when the got to it. i again asked on the 12 and said i would retrieve it if not going to be approved and again the person said when they feel like getting to it it would get approved, and now hasen't replied to last email. he said he was too busy but had enough time to approve one on the 12th that i placed on the 11th around 10 pm. he approved that one before 3 am on the 12th. what do i do?

Edited by mscott998

Keep in mind that Approvers are volunteers and have to balance the rules of placing a geocache with the wishes and intentions of the cache hider. Given that he did approve some others of yours, It leads me to believe that the cache in question didn't meet some criteria. When the approve said "he didnt have time," he probably meant to re-review the cache again.

Would you mind posting the comments from the approver when he denied the cache? This might bring some more insight into the situation.

what do i do?

Wait longer and post about it.

Not sure what else you could do, sorry.

Others will probly have more idea's.

I have only 7 hidden. Two are ones that I just adopted.

I could not be happier about the way the approvers have done there jobs.

mtn-man is the best ;)

First, put yourself in their shoes. Sometimes, especially during the summer, they could have a million things to do at once. I know what its like to become frustrated and I am sure it is not any approvers intention to be rude.

What were the comments when the cache approver archieved the cache?

When a cache has potential problems or if the approver has questions or doubts those caches get sent to the bottom of the pile. They will work on approving the no-brainers first and then when they have time will go back to the more difficult ones. As said previously please keep in mind that they are volunteers and believe it or not have lives other than geocaching. ;)

this is what he asked,

If someone signs the log why do they have to e-mail you???

Thanks

i replied that it was adifficult one and that it was the theme of the cache, hinse the name

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a Micro cache.

"Drop Me A Ring Sometime"

[Click to temporarily disable]

by mscott998 [profile]

Cache Issues:

This cache has not been approved yet. Once it is approved, it will be listed on the site. Check the logs to see if the reviewers have left a note for this listing.

N 36° 14.312 W 115° 10.213 (WGS84)

UTM: 11S E 664424 N 4011958

or convert to NAD27 at Jeeep.com

Click icon to download:

Read about waypoint downloads

In Nevada, United States [view map]

Hidden: 7/3/2004

Use waypoint: GCJWP7 (what's this?)

Make this page print-friendly (no logs)

Note:To use the services of geocaching.com, you must agree to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

(ratings out of 5 stars. 1 is easiest, 5 is hardest)

Difficulty: Terrain:

Located in an area that is busy during the day, be very descreet.

This cache is log only.

Bring a pen.

It is a small blue container.

It has a small lock inside with some keychain rings in it. Email me with the number of rings enclosed to recieve credit.

Please ensure that the lock and rings stay in the container when replaced.

Edited by mscott998

but this is not a dificult cache to approve, he thinks i am going to deny a find just because i asked to get an email with the number of rings enclosed, this is a log only cache. this is not the case, i have more fun with these my self other than just signing.

Where's the rude part?

Email me with the number of rings enclosed to recieve credit.

I'll ask the same thing: WHY?

This isn't a virtual, if I find the cache and sign the log, I did in fact find it, even if I didn't count the rings.

Sounds to me like you dont feel like maintaining this cache so this is your way to verify the logs without have to leave your monitor.

The only thing you can do is send an email to contact@geocaching.com, if you really want to persue this.

I, personally, would cut my losses and be happy with the ones that I did get approved. You can sit it out for a while and re-submit a new report listing another day and explain all your intentions.

Hmm, I mapped out the coords you posted, and dcypted the hint. Is this public property? I don't see a park or anything, maybe there are also some permission issues? I dunno if hiding a cache in front of a bank with security camera and stuff is such a hot idea.

I have read the guidelines and the only specific thing mentioned is this:

A container with just an object or codeword for verification may NOT be approved if the cache does not also include a logbook.

But, you have a log book. So I tend to agree with Mopar, there must be something else. Maybe its something to do with permission. Sometimes approvers can get really busy, buzz through the easy ones, and deny quickly ones that they know wont work.

mine does include a log book

I know, thats why I said:

But, you have a log book.

So, there is a possibilty of two things:

(1) Your cache approver is so overworked that he missed something in the guidelines.

(2) There is something we are not seeing. Some other reason.

I tend to side towards the latter.

yes so the person can log in their name, not all people get to loging their find on the net.

Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel? The traditional way to hide a cache works fine with no need for anyone to count rings or verify a date on a penny. Don't get me wrong, it's your cache and you can make up rules like that as much as you want. And to be completely honest, if the cache has a logbook and conforms with all the guidelines on the site as well as the rules of the park then the cache should be approved. Still, I don't get it.

this gives the cache meaning,

Hiding an ammo can filled with decent swag in a beautiful location gives a cache meaning too. The kind of meaning cachers tend to appreciate a whole lot. I'm not trying to impose on you a particular style of hide, just speaking from a little experience. Don't take it the wrong way.

yes so the person can log in their name, not all people get to loging their find on the net.

Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel? The traditional way to hide a cache works fine with no need for anyone to count rings or verify a date on a penny. Don't get me wrong, it's your cache and you can make up rules like that as much as you want. And to be completely honest, if the cache has a logbook and conforms with all the guidelines on the site as well as the rules of the park then the cache should be approved. Still, I don't get it.

this gives the cache meaning,

Hiding an ammo can filled with decent swag in a beautiful location gives a cache meaning too. The kind of meaning cachers tend to appreciate a whole lot. I'm not trying to impose on you a particular style of hide, just speaking from a little experience. Don't take it the wrong way.

Personally, I dont see anything wrong with counting rings. I dont see a benefit, but the rules do allow it pending the cache also has a hard copy log in it, which it does.

If they asked a question they must have thought something needed cleared up.

While waiting for replies, considering borderline caches and the like, they will often skip your cache for the time being and go on to other listings that a straight forward. If they didn't do this can you imagine how long it could take for people behind you to get their cache approved?

If they're busy, they're busy, having to take more time to reply to your email isn't helping them get whatever is taking up their time, done. Just politely email the answers they ask for to them, and make sure you reference the cache so they know what cache your talking about. Otherwise they have to spend EVEN MORE TIME trying to figure what cache your talking about.

Your description may also have the approver wondering, but you require an email. They may be concerned you will, like Mopar has said, not maintain the cache. Just let it turn into a 'count the pennies, micro' which are not allowed because all phyisicals must have a log book now.

Yes the site says 72 hours, but A) thats the sites 'policy' which they can change whenever they want. And its not the 'site' that has to meet that deadline. LOL

If you really think the person was rude to you (after all from the sound of it your bugging them often about a sorta weird cache), then forward the rude emails to Contact @geocaching.com. Explain the problem, and let GSP deal with it.

Well maybe your other similar cache shouldn't have been approvered so fast? You read about the 72hour claim, did you also read that just because one cache was approved is not a reason to approve another like it?

Rename the cache whatever you, so long as its not a 'bad' word. It might be easier if you went back and tossed out ring part and removed it from the description. That way the cache is simplily a log only micro stuck in a street somewhere.

any more questions?

So this is what happened:

July 3rd: You placed the cache.

July 6th: The approver asked you the question

You answered the question

July 10th: You asked the status

The approver emailed you back and said "Ill get to it, when I get to it"

Right?

Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?

have you ever found one like this before? that ask for the date on a penny or something? i have one that requires the date on the penny for verification, it signifies my anniversary, and the finder said they enjoyed it when the emailed me.

Right?

right

Personally, I dont see anything wrong with counting rings. I dont see a benefit, but the rules do allow it pending the cache also has a hard copy log in it, which it does.

Oh there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, like I said, i just don't get it.

Right?

right

It looks like to me your area's approver is under some pressure, either with cache workload or personal life. You did your best to answer the question. I would take it in stride and see what happens.

If he denies it, then that would be your time to contest it in these forums or by emailing contact@geocaching.com.

Until then, just wait it out to see what happens. Not much more you could do. It wouldnt hurt to send an email to the approver, letting him know that you didnt mean to push him along and you appriciate what hes doing.

look at the name of the cache

have you ever found one like this before? that ask for the date on a penny or something? i have one that requires the date on the penny for verification, it signifies my anniversary, and the finder said they enjoyed it when the emailed me.

I checked out your hides and saw that one. That one I can deal with, it's little sappy but hey, nothing wrong with that. Here's the big question: What happens if someone who actually finds the cache forgets to email you or maybe is dyslexic and gets the date wrong. Would you delete their found it log?

I checked out your hides and saw that one. That one I can deal with, it's little sappy but hey, nothing wrong with that. Here's the big question: What happens if someone who actually finds the cache forgets to email you or maybe is dyslexic and gets the date wrong. Would you delete their found it log?

no, but i will be verifying the internet logs with physical logs, if you dont sign the physical log and do post a log on line and havent emailed the number then i would

Couple things,

One, if everybody starts throwing change in a fim canister and stashing it somewhere, its not uniqe and interesting, its boring. Thats part of why log books because totally required. Otherwise someone never has to maintain the cache. No log book that can be filled up, and so what if a little water gets in there, you can still tell what the coins are. (not that many would do that, but some could try)

And, many people find reading the actual logbook very interesting.

Two, if the log book is missing its obvisous right away. If some moron finds the cache and decided he wants some spare change, or a key ring, or a steel fender washer or whatever else. They take some of them, and the next person to find the cache, comes up with a different, 'wrong' count. They really did find the cache, but it can cause confusion until its figure out why/when the count changed.

no, but i will be verifying the internet logs with physical logs, if you dont sign the physical log and do post a log on line and havent emailed the number then i would

That's cool. Don't see the problem then. Maybe the approver for got about you. Who is the approver for your area? Not that it matters, I'm sure he wasn't intentionally trying to be rude. Or maybe he was, who knows. It what fashion did you hide the cache? Maybe that has something to do with it. Tell us quick while no one from your area is looking. ;)