First lesson I learned...

DaBadger

I was out on my second hunt when I learned a very important lesson I'd like to share with all of you. For those of you whose GPS receiver has a lanyard attachment, USE IT!!! I was walking on a muddy river bank when one of my legs shot out from under me. I had to throw my hand out to grab a tree. Fortunately, I had my receiver attached to my belt, so it ended up on the ground about a foot beside me instead of in the river.

Not as bad as setting down a $350 GPS-R to look through the trinkets at a cache and sign the log book and then leave the darn thing behind. Has it happened to me yet? no, but almost, and more times than I'd like to admit. I'm glad my Vista came with a long enough lanyard to hang the darn thing around my neck when I'm at the cache site!!! 15T

www.1800goguard.com

quote:
Originally posted by DaBadger:

I was out on my second hunt when I learned a very important lesson I'd like to share with all of you. For those of you whose GPS receiver has a lanyard attachment, USE IT!!!

Yes, use the lanyard as intended. Once, when doing a nighttime cache, my backup gps was in my jacket pocket, apparently with the lanyard hanging out. I found the cache without incident, and that was when I discovered my Maggie was missing. I tried to retrace my steps on the way out, but I couldn't locate it in the dark. On the return trip the next morning, I was fortunate to discover my beloved Maggie hanging by its lanyard from the branch of a young tree!

So two lessons were learned:

1. Use the lanyard as intended.

2. Attach pieces of reflective tape to important pieces of equipment easily lost in the dark.

MWMM15T "Not as bad as setting down a $350 GPS-R to look through the trinkets at a cache and sign the log book and then leave the darn thing behind. Has it happened to me yet? no, but almost,"

Actually, this just happened to me for the first time this past weekend. I was refreshing my cache, I placed my GPS on a Tree Branch to let it settle down for a while. My intention was to let it sit there whilst I refreshed the cache, read the log, and rehid it, then take a reading. (trying to get a better more accurate readings, the heavy tree cover makes it hard) Well, I got distracted, started picking up trash in the area, then moved down the path to pick up more trash. I got all the way home before I realized I had left my Legend sitting on that branch.

Well, I rushed back, and my Legend was still there....but the batteries were dead, so even though it had been sitting all that time (about an hour) I didn't get to at least take a good reading from this near loss. Sheesh, what a stupid move on my part. That thing is staying around my neck from now on.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

I use the Garmin lanyard on my Vista and wear it around my neck. I've wondered though about the strength of the fishing-line thin line portion that actually connects to the unit. I'd hate to reach for it one day and find it gone! I've been using it for over 6 months now, but does anyone know the tensile strngth and life expectancy of the end of the lanyard?

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

If only my Meridian had a lanyard attachment..

Jamie

When I got my Meridian, I was initially upset about the lack of a lanyard attachment and was going to make one utilizing the data attachment screwhole. However, before I got around to doing that, I found a pouch at the local surplus store that fits the Meridian perfectly without obstructing the top. So now the Meridian sits in its pouch until I get close to the cache. (I have the alarm set for 100 ft.) So far I have found this works great for me. When I get to the cache, the GPS goes back into its little holster and I don't need to worry about it. Now if I can get a similar setup working for my camera...