Update Mapsource From 5.4 To 6.3???

Bozz

Should I update my Mapsource from version 5.4 to 6.3??? The new update came out the end of last month. Lots of "fixes" and some new features...

Too many to list, but if anyone is familiar, or has upgraded, or contemplated it -- please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Bozz :(

Sure you can update. The only main difference you'll notice is (I think it's after your existing installed release) that Garmin switched to GDB as their main file format and not MPS. You can still open all your MPS files, but it will say it's an older format and when you save, it will create it as a GDB file.

If you upgrade to a new version of their mapping data (ie City Select v6) my guess is you'll get an updated MapSource at that time anyway.

The upgrade, for me at least, has been positive. I seem to get fewer crashes when dealing with the USB data card programmer. In fact, I don't think it's crashed on me since I upgraded. With 5.4 and earlier, it wasn't uncommon for MapSource to crash on me once or twice a week under fairly constant use. I have four distinct MapSource products installed plus the tidal points data set. MS 6.3 seems to handle this fine. Redrawing screen sections seems faster and it allows me to interrupt drawing of the screen to pan or zoom. Previously, it wanted to redraw the entire screen before panning or zooming (or so I recall).

Aside from the previously mentioned GDB file change, there are several notable changes that may or may not annoy you. The find dialog is different. For the most part, it's better, but it still needs some tweaking. Also, the upload/download dialog automatically searches for your GPS every time you start a transfer. Those with only one GPS hate this feature. I have 5 Garmin GPSes that I'm constantly switching out and I rather like it.

Good Luck

-E