GPS HELP

r_kalp

I dont have very much money I mean I have just about nothing and I cant afford a GPS what should I do I have already asked my parents and they wont give me the money please help I am very interested in geocaching please mail me at r_kalp@hotmail.com and put the subject GEOCACHING please

Ryan Kalp

Since you state that you have very little money I am going to guess that you don't have enough even to buy a used GPS. I would suggest finding someone in your area that would be willing to let you go with them for a while. This would let you start logging without having to be proficient in map reading. If you were to get one or both of your parents to go along a few times I would be willing to bet that the issue of purchasing a GPS would go away. Then you problem will be to get it away from them.

First of all, this is not a smart a$$ answer.

But:

Learn to read maps.

Learn to use the online free software that includes maps.

And be one of those guys who finds geocaches without maps.

Lostoutdoors.com might be a place to start in your quest.

This sport is easier with a GPS, but there are people out there with hundreds of finds without a GPS.

Besies mapreading is a skill that I've learned not everyone has.

Wherever you go there you are.

Dear Ryan

I am going to give you some good advice.

While I would not discourage young people

from learning a skill that is valauble in life,

I must caution you.

#1 Good intelligent full-grown adults don't

know what they are doing when they attempt

geo-caching. There are probably fair amounts

of people in the world, (OK...maybe just the U.S. and Macedonia) that headed out into the woods with their trusty Magellan and never came back.....EVER!! (Let that be your 1st warning)

#2 A gps is a tool, so is a map and a compass.

You must learn how to use them first. Once again I refer back to #1. Many well intentioned

good hearted adults have no idea how to use a map or a compass. If you don't believe me, just

read some of these posts. Like I have said before, it is all fun and games until your mom

heads out at dusk into the woods and when they find her two weeks later, she has her etrex in

one hand (with dead batteries) and a tupperware cache in the other....and she has passed on,

in a horizontal position.

#3 I would suggest following an INTELLIGENT

gps'r first for awhile. Try to find a guy named BUCK from West Virginia. Or you can e-mail me,

I was trained by the U.S.Army. If you can get your hands on FM 21-26. Map Reading and Land Navigation, that would be great. Or you could

join the cub-scouts, boy-scouts or take an orienteering course locally first.

Good luck

-side tip for survival ( it's never a good idea to go over to a bear's house for dinner)

psyopwak

"Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect."

Chief Seattle

Old Post yes but...

Not quite sure how old you are or just where Acme, PA is but when I was a kid I made lots of money doing the easiset of tasks...

I'd go door to door with a rake in the fall, I would go door to door with a shovel in the winter and door to door with a lawnmower I picked from the trash and tinkerd with till I got running. If I set out on a Saturday morning, I would almost always come home with enough cash to buy myself almost anything a kid would want ( in my day it was cb's and police scanners!!)

But my most lucritive business was shoe shining! I kid you not. I found an old shoe shine box at a garage sale when I was 10 years old. I went to the supermarket and bought black, brown and neutral wax, a few brushes and buffers and I would hit all the bars in the area (granted there is an awful lot of pubs/bars in my neighborhood) I would open up the door and hollar "ANYONE WANT A SHOESHINE" and someone would always call me over and by the time I was done someone else wanted and another....this was back in the 80's and I charged 50 cents for shoes and $1 boots and they always paid a dollar or more (if they were a litte tipsy I occasionally got a $5) but I could easily turn anywhere from $40 to $60 for about 2-3 hours work. I was one kid who can honestly say I never asked my parents for anything. I always paid with my own $$$

You could get a GPS for dirt cheap if U look on eBay. I bet I could find a GPS for $10 on ebay (it will be an oldy, but get you there just as well as a newer model) Surely you could find a small chore to earn the money for it plus shipping and handeling.

You need help finding one, lemme know, I'll let my fingers do the walking for you and see what I could dig up.

And if this message is/was posted by a troll, so be it, learn from it, I am proud to say I work hard for what I own. When you work hard for something, you respect it and cherish it a more than if it were handed to you. Remember that icon_wink.gif

One more thing...How you going to get to these caches once you get a GPS? Are there enough within biking distance or you looking to spread the word in your area by planting a few?

If U need help with eBay lemme know icon_smile.gif

Kar

TEAM SHIBBY!!!!

Krs, Kar & Na

quote:
One more thing...How you going to get to these caches once you get a GPS? Are there enough within biking distance?

To be quite honest, this is how I found my first one. icon_smile.gif I had been riding past it for a year without knowing it was there. icon_eek.gif

It is in a wooded area adjacent to a Bike Path in my area. there are a few more I'll be finding while I'm out on my bike this summer. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm not Lost, my GPS says I'm right here....no over here......no over here.

Nothing wrong with biking and caching however you or I are limited to very few. Not knowing your capabilities on a bicycle but when I do a search for caches in a 5 mile radius I only come up with 14, and I live in a cache saturated area. By the time I hit #14 we are looking at a 10 mile round trip but more than likely further considering we get our distance as the crow flies, not actual driving/riding distance. Thats an awful lot of dangerous pedaling through these city streets for me!!

Here in NJ I feel the streets are a little dangerous for bike travel. No bike lanes of any kind and too many idiot drivers to take a chance with icon_frown.gif Hope it's not like that where you live icon_smile.gif

Kar

P.S. I should add that quite a few surrounding towns around me are not the friendliest neighborhoods to be riding your bike in either, especially after an exhausting 10 mile bike ride and it's now dark out!! icon_eek.gif

Chin up, Ryan. Summer's almost here. As has been said above, there are money-making opportunities for entrepreneurial people. Mow lawns, wash cars, deliver newspapers. You can find an eTrex on eBay for not too much cash. I recently purchased several yellow ones for less than eighty bucks each (on average).

I looked at your area and there are a couple of caches close to you. Once you find these, hide one and you might be able to spark some activity.

Good luck.

quote:
P.S. I should add that quite a few surrounding towns around me are not the friendliest neighborhoods to be riding your bike in either, especially after an exhausting 10 mile bike ride and it's now dark out!! icon_eek.gif

Actually I average 45-65 miles a weekend trip on my bike. On one trip last june I rode 100 miles. I'm lucky to live in a bike path rich area. icon_smile.gif

I'm not Lost, my GPS says I'm right here....no over here......no over here.