Travel Bug, How Long To Leave It?

kbootb

I found my first travel bug, its mission was to stay near water. I dropped it in a cache very near home near a pond.

This cache has not been visited since, been there for months.

I feel kind of responsible if I have dropped it in a fairly dead cache. Do you think I should retrieve it and move it to one that gets a visit more often?

We normally keep an eye on our local caches. If there's a bug stuck in one for a couple of months, we'll revisit and rescue it, even though we've previously found the cache. Until it's been there 'too long', we leave it to new finders.

It sounds like in your case it's perfectly reasonable to go back and rescue it.

Cheers,

Stu

I think you have to take each case individually.

I try not to drop Travel Bugs off in multis unless they are quite simple and straightforward as they get fewer visitors than traditional caches. Also, in my experience the people that 'do' do them are often locals who do them in stages over a period of time.

People are also sometimes put off by a high difficulty or terrain rating which this cache has. I'm also reluctant to place TBs in 'out of the way' places unless a cache is new (I often research and set new caches deliberately when I have a TB from another country rather than place it somewhere more established so that I know it will get it moved along more quickly).

In this case, even though it's only been 4 weeks, I would tend to move it.

We had a bug unmoved for a long time(supposedly in the hands of another cacher), and it was then found in a cache and moved on- the cacher never replied to my mails.

The only thing that annoyed me about this was not knowing where the bug was.

I'd just suggest mailing the owner and asking.

Edited by Chris&MaryB