Ham Radio In Nb?

Insp Gadget

I sometimes take my UHF handie with me while geocaching. Try me on 446.000MHz w/CTCSS 136.5. Mind you, I think I *might* be out of earshot being in Ontario. <_<

C-A

No wonder I can never raise you on my FRS. You are on the wrong frequency. :o:D:D

No wonder I can never raise you on my FRS. You are on the wrong frequency. 

Hee hee! Well, I do scan the first 7 FRS frequencies too on the same radio. I've yet to hear any cachers on there. The conversations I've heard have made me realize my family isn't *that* dysfunctional after all. :huh:

Then again, are you sure you weren't trying to *talk* into your GPS receiver and take a *reading* with your FRS? :mad:

Cheers!

C-A

what exactly is Ham Radio, kinda like a CB basically?

When I placed my cache yesterday at Ken Reid they were having a meeting/bbq for Ham Radio Ontario. :mad:

Ham Radio, or Amateur Radio is basically like CB, but they use different frequencies and power in order to reach long distance, including right around the globe. In order to transmit using a ham radio, you must first pass a test in order to get your license.

Something I find very interesting is the ability to connect your GPS to some radios and transmit your position to a website. I find this useful and safe simply because I do most of my hiking alone. I could call someone for help and transmit my position if anything went wrong.

Edited by Insp Gadget

Pretty much every handheld scanner is going to allow you to listen in on all UHF frequencies. GMRS/FRS is in the 460MHz range and most every scanner will cover 406-512MHz so you should be good there. As far as brands, I've had good luck with Uniden and dare I say it, Radio Shack too. If you want to get technical, the primary figure of merit on receivers is the sensitivity. This normally measured in uV (microvolt) or -dBm (decibels). With uV less is better and if measured in dBm, lower is better. 0.5uV and -117dBm are the same thing and are both excellent. 1uV and -107dBm are considered to be quite "deaf". Other considerations are scanning speed, but I find most newer scanners are good here anyway.

More if you're interested, but there is no lack of information available on the 'net.

Cheers!

C-A

There is some overlap between Geocachers and Amateur Radio in

Nova Scotia as witnessed by the Truro meet on Amateur Radio Field Day...

Truro Geocachers First Ever Meet and Greet!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=147528

Nova Scotian Amateurs make some good use of IRLP, (Internet Radio

Linking Project) to transmit via internet connected repeaters to far

flung locations. So you potentially can be geocaching in New

Brunswick and talking to someone doing the same in Ontario,

something you won't find in CB radio.

Brian

VE1NSX