degrees,minutes and seconds?

Tree Toad

Assuming you knew in which direction 'ahead' and 'right' were, you could simply move in that direction until your GPSr indicated a one/five second change. Remember that the distance covered for a one second change in longitude will vary with the Latitude (one second or degree of longitude will be significantly longer at 5°N than it will be at 95°N)

Good Hunting! -- Graveseeker

If you are talking Latitude/Longitude Seconds:

North/South a second equals about 101 feet.

East/West (at about 43* North) a second equals about 75 feet.

So 5 seconds North/South is about 500 feet.

5 seconds East/West is about 375 feet.

The GPS would've gotten you much closer.

Could they mean 5 seconds of pacing?

If their unit displays:

dd mm ss.s

And they mean the final digit as a second instead of 1/10 of a second, they could mean to move 50 feet N/S or 37.5 feet E/W.

Maybe an e-mail question to the cache owner is in order.

Faster, Better, Cheaper

Pick any two.

On most of the USGS topo maps I've seen, the map datum is NAD27. Lines of longitude converge toward the poles, but latitude remains parallel. I think I read somewhere that the reason for the difference in the length of nautical miles versus statute miles was to allow 60 nautical miles to fit exactly into one degree of latitude. Of course there are 60 minutes in a degree, and 60 seconds in a minute. Unfortunately, the world is not a perfect sphere. Someone coined the phrase "geoid" to describe the earth's unique shape. I believe the shape is derived from measurements of microscopic changes in gravity on the earth's surface. This means that a person with a mass of say, 90 kilograms would weigh less on top of Everest and more at sea level due to their proximity to the earth's center of gravity. But as to how far a second is, that depends on whether you are going north, or west or... You get the idea. icon_smile.gif

wouldn't have all this conjecture. A second is a second--a unit of time. Period. An arc-second is an angular measure, and is called that to avoid confusion. Period.

The cache owner should specify, and if they are going to give instructions like that, it should be mandatory that the owner have the capacity to know the difference. We need testing! icon_biggrin.gif

BloenCustoms, you said a mouthful, but I surely did not get the idea.

don

If lines of longitude converge at the poles, then a person travelling due east at 60 deg. Lat. will travel a shorter distance than someone travelling due east at 50 deg. Lat. If their respective maps say they've traveled one degree. OR one second. When travelling north/south one degree will give you the same distance regardless of your lattitude.

After exchanging e-mails with Tree Toad this finally occurred to me

======

Another thought ...

After entering these coords into my gps, changing from UTM to dd mm.mmm gives the same numbers as the cache description page. So no doubts there.

Changing the display to dd mm ss.s gives:

N 42* 55' 16.9" W 85* 46' 25.3"

If you need to go north, add 5" to the North #.

N 42* 55' 21.9" W 85* 46' 25.3"

If you need to go south, subtract 5" from the North #.

N 42* 55' 11.9" W 85* 46' 25.3"

If you need to go east, subtract 5" from the West #.

N 42* 55' 16.9" W 85* 46' 20.3"

If you need to go west, add 5" to the West #.

N 42* 55' 16.9" W 85* 46' 30.3"

Create a waypoint with the appropriate new coords and

hunt that.

=========

Some days it takes me awhile ....

icon_confused.gif

Faster, Better, Cheaper

Pick any two.