Using Routes - Etrex Vista

I am new to GPS. Some things, like Route and Trackback seem intuitive, but the Vista isn't behaving like I expected in either of those modes. Hopefully, someone out there can advise whether this Etrex is working correctly and I am therefore asking too much of it.

When in Route navigation, the Vista will only focus on the first waypoint. It will not automatically roll to the next waypoint when the first one has been passed. This is in spite of the unit issuing the "approaching turn" warning and the bearing pointer indicating the turn. Instead, after the waypoint is passed, the bearing pointer will remain focused on the waypoint just passed, indicating that I am now proceeding opposite of where I need to go. This condition remains until I manually "force" the unit to address the next waypoint by stopping and restarting navigation. This "forcing" will cause the bearing pointer to focus on the next waypoint, but the same thing happens again when passing the new waypoint.

I am doing this in a car, over a 3 mile course. Accuracy is 30 feet or better. The waypoints were entered manually, and I believe are very precise for this exercise. I reloaded the software from Garmin's website. The version was the same as what the unit came with. This had no impact on the problem.

The same thing happens in Trackback mode, which prompted my prior inquiry on this board.

Please tell me, folks, when in Route Navigation, shouldn't the Vista automatically roll to the next waypoint when the previous one has been passed? Any thoughts on what I may be doing incorrectly?

I have arranged to send the GPS back to Garmin for a look, but perhaps there is actually nothing wrong with the thing and I am asking too much of the unit to expect it to roll to the next waypoint automatically.

Thanks for all your help and advice. And please forgive me if I am asking this forum to drift too much into a helpdesk mode.

Yep, there is a routing option. Choices are automatic or manual. Automatic changes the waypoint automatically. In manual mode, the zoom in / zoom out buttons will change the waypoint.

Also, I find that when I start navigating a route, it always defaults to the 'closest' waypoint, not necessarily the 'first' waypoint in the route. Kinda frustrating, but now that I know how to change it with the zoom buttons, it's ok.