Map Function Or Compass Bearing

Sagar and Skategirl

Yes I am a newb. :unsure:

My question is this. I have read many posts about problems with the gpsr causing confusing distances and directions as you get close to the cache. I have experienced this and last night I changed to map function. Though the location jumped around a bit, it was much! easier to stay on my intended track to the cache(well almost). I had turned my garmin vista to map at the near lowest zoom. Does anyone else do this? What is the collective wisdom on the subject?

By the way, I had a fixed reference point ( a lake) so telling the correct direction was easy.

P.S. Didn't find the cache :blink: Like I said, it was night, deep woods and Skategirl was a little uncomfortable since Sagar forgot his flashlight. I had to carry her out. (She is 6)

This is what I do, as well. One of the fields I display on the map is 'bearing'. The bearing numbers used in conjunction with a real compass and the displayed map makes it pretty straightforward. Then the trick is to figure out how they hid it. 'Specially the clever ones! (BTW - eTrex Legend here. I envy your MBs! :unsure: )

P.S. Didn't find the cache  Like I said, it was night, deep woods and Skategirl was a little uncomfortable since Sagar forgot his flashlight. I had to carry her out. (She is 6)

Awwwwwwwww..... Idn't dat cuuuute.... :blink:

Edited for mipsellings

Edited by New England n00b

If GPSr is having problems with accurate affects in both screens, map and compass

Anyway compass screen is more reliable for searching in the last meters to reach the cache, the direction where you have to go is more accurate than the map screen.

For long distances it is better the map screen because seeing the track you can deduce if the way is turning away you from the cache or you have to choose a diferent direcion to avoid a lake a river...

If GPSr is having problems with accurate affects in both screens, map and compass

Anyway compass screen is more reliable for searching in the last meters to reach the cache, the direction where you have to go is more accurate than the map screen.

For long distances it is better the map screen because seeing the track you can deduce if the way is turning away you from the cache or you have to choose a diferent direcion to avoid a lake a river...

I would disagree with the close proximity statement in this case. Both the eTrex Legend (my unit) and the Vista (theirs) do not have an electronic compass. In order for the pointer to show the correct direction, the GPS must be moving. This is why I use the bearing numbers with a real compass. I can stop, take a look around and still get the right direction without having to move 50' for the sats' to lock in the direction again.

(EDIT - Particularly when Tree cover prevents good reception)

Edited by New England n00b

I use to walk some meters in straight line to get the right direction, when it left 3 meters to spot the cache, due to the innaccurate about GPS, i have to search in any place to spot the cache.

My father has the Vista, and it has an electronic compass.

The electronic compass on GPSRs(unless someting has changed) are rated to +/-5 degrees accuracy.

To figure out where north is while standing still that's fine. To get a good bearing to use to find a cache spot from a couple hundred feet out that's not at all accurate enough.

A magnetic compass rated to +/-1 degree is a much better solution. Even better is a sighting compass that allows you to choose some distant object as the target so you know you are continuing to walk in the correct direction.

The electronic compass on GPSRs(unless someting has changed) are rated to +/-5 degrees accuracy.

To figure out where north is while standing still that's fine.  To get a good bearing to use to find a cache spot from a couple hundred feet out that's not at all accurate enough. 

A magnetic compass rated to +/-1 degree is a much better solution.  Even better is a sighting compass that allows you to choose some distant object as the target so you know you are continuing to walk in the correct direction.

The Vista electronic compass is rated at +/- 2 degrees, the MeriPlat was noted to be as accurate by gpsinformation.net.

My observation when compared with my lensatic compass was the MeriPlat was within 1 degree of it making for a possible maximum error of +/- 3 degrees.

Most basic compasses under $100 will be within the +/- 2 degrees. If you want better accuracy, you'll need to expect to pay more. I had researched sometime back for the +/- 1 degree accuracy of compasses and they started in the range of +$200 for the basic of these types and are typically used for surveys.

Anyway, the thrust of my post (which I forgot to add before this edit :blink:) I use the mapping function until I get down to around 50 feet, then I switch to my electronic compass. I've successfully used it to triangulate as well as point me in a more direct route. The beauty of the electronic compass built into the GPSr (at least for the MeriPlat) is it's ability to point out the bearing you're walking, the direction you're facing, and the bearing of the cache location when used as a GOTO waypoint as noted in this picture below.

IMAGE003.JPG

Edited by TotemLake
I have read many posts about problems with the gpsr causing confusing distances and directions as you get close to the cache.

I had turned my garmin vista...

I have a Vista and love it. There are two important things you should remember when dealing with the electronic compass:

1) Turn it on. When you switch to the Navigation page on your GPSr that shows the compass you need to check the top bar and see if there's a small compass figure which indicates it is turned on. If not, you need to be moving for the compass to know which way you're facing. To turn it on simply hold the upper button on the right side in for approx 5 seconds and the screen will give you a message that Compass Is Turned On (or something similar). Now you can stand still and it'll be accurate and it will point you to the cache.

Don't forget to turn it off when you're finished and no longer need it. It's a battery drain which will noticably shorten the life of your batteries if you leave it on all the time.

2) You have to calibrate the compass whenever you put in new batteries. Go to the drop down menu from the Navigation page and select the option to do this. It'll instruct you to push the click stick to start, then turn slowly in two full circles. That's it. Sometimes this is called the Garmin Shuffle.

if you keep these two things in mind you'll probably discover that the Navigation page is better for you once you get within a few hundred feet.

I hope this helps!

Edited by Mushtang

Being a newbi myself, I found out that with my MeriPlat (Magellan Meridian Platinum) I am best of, if I follow the general direction with the map or coordinate screen and then, closing in to about 10 to 20 meters ti switch over to the compass screen, which brought me right to the cache location. Before that, in one case I was at the almost right coords, but just at the bottom of a cliff, instead on top. Thanks to the compass, which pointed to the cliff, I found out about that.

The easiest way to get close is to use the map screen. Do your goto so you have an icon on the map and make sure your unit is showing your track. The track shows where you have been, the icon shows where you need to go and a rough estimate of the distance.

When we're with-in a couple of hundred of feet we switch back and forth between the map and a navigation screen that shows 'distance to go' and 'Expected Position Error'. When the 'DTG' shows the same as or less than the 'EPE' we are usually standing next to the cache.

Good luck,

John

A magnetic compass rated to +/-1 degree is a much better solution. Even better is a sighting compass that allows you to choose some distant object as the target so you know you are continuing to walk in the correct direction.

Some Brunton compasses have a magnifying window where you read the bearing and have a half degree accuracy because of the greater visual resolution.

I have found after trying to teach others how to use a gps that it is easier to use the plotter screen or map depending on the gps.

They find it easier to see where they are and where they have to go with the icon.

Use a compass set to the first bearing from where you started and use it to keep you on course.

:lol:

Most basic compasses under $100 will be within the +/- 2 degrees. If you want better accuracy, you'll need to expect to pay more. I had researched sometime back for the +/- 1 degree accuracy of compasses and they started in the range of +$200 for the basic of these types and are typically used for surveys.

Are you talking about rated accuracy or the actual accuracy claimed by someone who tested a unit?

Anyway, I have a silva compass I bought several years ago that is rated to +/-1. I have not tested it to determine if it is actually that accurate (wouldn't know how to test it to that extent without introducing human error into the equation), but I have no reason to believe it isn't. I don't recall what I paid for it, but don't think it was more than around $75US.

I am surprised that the Garmin unit is rated as +/-2. Until such time as GPSRs have a sighting cover attached I can't see greater accuracy as having any use due to human error.