Mapsource Topo 3.02

I just bought Mapsource Topo 3.02 and was told there would be trails and dirt roads in far more detail than City Select or Mapguide. I loaded it on my PC and there are hardly any trails or dirt roads on the map in Raleigh and surrounding counties. We have State Parks and many State Forests where there are numerous trails and hundreds of dirt roads and there are few if any in any on the topo map of the areas. We do most of our geocaching in this area and elevation curves aren't of much use to us. I understand that the elevation curves are very helpful in the mountains but not here. Is this all there is to it? Have I wasted my money? I have the View/Detail on so there is supposedly detail showing. In Edit/preferences I have the map detail set to high. If this is all it is City Select is all I need. Please help.

Edited by horsegeeks

I don't know the terrain around Raleigh, but of the places I've visited Topo has better detail of trails, oil-well roads, and double track farm roads than MetroGuide does. I use both Topo and MetroGuide for different purposes, so I don't think you've wasted your money.

-E

I would say that the mapsource topos are based on USGS topos, but I don't know if that is the case(for the most part it probably is). Actually, in quite a few places that I have looked in Califronia and Arizona, the Mapsource topos actually showed more detail of dirt roads and trails then the USGS topo maps. I am not sure where they got this extra data. Anyway... I guess it all depends on where you are. Sorry to hear that countor lines and topo maps in general don't help much where you live. They help alot here. Maybe you should move? :blink:

I live in Florida, where our most elevation seems to be the landfills or the Beachside condominiums. Would a topo make sense for here?

I guess since they show the swamps, rivers, etc. perhaps, but I'm not sure it would justify the cost, since Metroguide basically shows all that stuff.

Opinions?