A Bicycle In London

If I was planning (say, just for instance :P) a trip to London one Sunday, would a bicycle help or hinder a cache trip? Are you allowed to ride bikes in the parks? I am happy leaving it locked up for short periods, but would prefer to have it with me at all times to be honest. The alternative is the tube, using Chris 'n' Maria's tube map as a guide. I'd like to cover lots of ground, if you know what I mean <_<

This trip would be without Ozzy of course :lol:

Edited by Stuey
Having to lock the bike up is likely to slow you down a lot. I'd seriously consider leaving it behind and relying on shank's pony and public transport.

- Neil.

I just did an overnight caching marathon in London without a bike. At some points, I was wondering whether having a bike would have been helpful. I think that if this would be your first caching trip to London, cache density will be so high that you're better off without a bike (unless you are very picky about which caches you want to do, and which not). However, once you've found many of Central London's caches, density will get smaller, and a bike would be very useful on a follow-up caching trip, on which you would hunt the ones you missed the first time round, some new caches, and the more remote ones.

Ali and myself are planning a London cache slaughter (for want of a better word!) in the not too distant future. We've not been caching in central London for ages and there are currently more than 50 we've not yet found.

Almost certainly we'll give it a go by bike. We're both used to cycling in traffic in London - but if you're not, it can be a bit daunting.

By and large you can't cycle in the main parks except other than on some of the larger paths. Something to be aware of also is that you can't chain your bike to the railings in quite a few places. It will be removed - if not blown up!.

Be aware also that the newish Police Community Support Workers in central London will almost certainly jump on you if you cycle on the pavement. This isn't because they are anti bike - it's just because cycling on the pavement is highlighted as a particular annoyance to Londoners (believe me I've been to the meetings!) and thats what they get tasked to do.

We plan to do some along the Regents Canal as well. You need a permit to cycle on the canal paths, although most people don't bother. The permits are free and you download them from here.

Everything you need to know about cycling in London can be found here. Transport for London do a load of free guides and they can be contacted on 020 7222 1234.

I'd have to disagree with some of the comments above about it not being worth it until you are just picking them off. Alone, I can see it being a bit of a pain in the bum - both literally and not! Go with someone else and you can take it in turns to look after the bikes.

Other than that I'd say go for it. As long as you don't do too many as me and Ali are after the record!!!!!!!!

Hi Nick, nope, not going yesterday. It's likely to be in the Autumn I think, when it has cooled down a bit. I won't be going for any London record, but the 24hr "outside London" record is within my grasp one day :rolleyes:

Many thanks for your reply. Very useful indeed!