Multiple Cahces Per Trip?

perkin901

Will+Bill make a good suggestion. When you log on to the main page and enter your zip code to obtain a list of caches in your area, select one of the caches from the list and review the resulting page. As you read through the page, you'll see a section that reads:

Find...

...other caches hidden or found by this user

...nearby caches of this type

...all nearby caches

...all nearby placenames

...all nearby benchmarks

If you click on "nearby caches of this type" or "all nearby caches" the system will sort the information on file and trim down the list you originally received (when you entered your zip code) so caches closer to the one you have chosen.

You may want to consider becoming a "Premium Member" which, among other benefits, allows you to request regularly scheduled reports on caches in your area (you'll see them referred to here in the forums as "PQs".

Welcome to geocaching.

When you search by zip code the first cache that comes up is closest to you. From there caches are listed with their distance from your zip code and what bearing they are from your zip code (N, NE, SW, etc.). I pick a cache to go after then a second one close by. Then any other caches I pick I look for caches in the same direction I will be heading from the first cache. This way I hit several in a row and don't have to drive back and forth.

I recently logged 14 caches on a road trip from Texas back home to good old Colorado. I figured out my route online (using Mapquest.com) and seeing which cities I was going to pass through. Then, using QuakeMap, I found the general coordinates for some of the major cities, and then used the "search for coordinates" function on the "Hide/Seek a Cache" page. This whole process would have been easier if Mapquest would give me the coordinates of the cities. Either way, I downloaded the *.loc files for the first page of caches for each city, and then imported them into QuakeMap. Then I was able to whittle down which caches were out of my way and which I wanted to do. Even still, we only did half of the ones we had planned on - the trip took 12 hours. My butt was pretty sore when we got home. That, and Joey the Cat really had to pee, so we had to find a grocery store at 10 pm in eastern Colorado (harder than you'd think).

Looking at one of your finds, I clicked on the all nearby caches link on that page and it brought me to:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...&lon=-79.742383

showing me all the caches near it. As you can see, there's 5 caches within a 2 mile radius of that cache that you could, depending on terrain, etc look to attempt all during the same outing.

I use mapping software with my GPS. I'm a premium subscriber so I create GPX files of the closest 500 caches I haven't found. I use GSAK to convert that GPX file to a MapSource file. It allows me to zoom in on clusters of caches that are in the same area that I can likely target during 1 trip.

There are also times when I go with the kids and look for easier caches that might require some driving between them. I use GSAK and the same GPX file and sort it by a maximum difficulty and then see if I can find some along the same driving route that they might enjoy.

Use the geocaching.com maps. This link is also on each cache page towards the bottom. When you cliick on it the current cache will be in the center. The map will show all the nearby caches by types of cache. You can then get the info for each. What I do sometimes, is check to see where a park is and then hit the caches in that park. Which caches these are are easy to see on the map.

Don't forget to mark the waypoint you parked your car so you can find it when you're done. Alaso, take extra bateries and a compass for backup <_<

Good luck

Alan

Something I found that helps a lot as you find yourself travelling farther and farther afield for caches is to plot out your driving routes ahead of time. Unless you have one of the high end GPSr units that automatically plots a route, this is the best way to minimize the amount of time spent traveling between caches. Of course if the cache doesn't list parking coordinates this can get tricky, but at the very least you can get yourself into the vicinity of a cache in an unfamiliar area without too much trouble if you plan ahead.

And keep an eye on how the mapping software routes you - it doesn't always pick the best route, and occasionally it picks an impossible route, such as parking you on the wrong side of a river, with the cache nestled safely on the distant shore. Trust me on this :unsure: .

:unsure: Thanks for all of the replies!

Once again I see proof that the InterNET community has a bunch of really nice people.

I never realized how the "caches nearby" function worked but this in combination with EasyGPS looks like a really good answer. I've been able to locate a nearby cache, get caches near that, use EasyGPS to select a short list and UL that route into my GPS.

Now if the rain lets up....

PS: Is there an easy way to edit a LOC file so that the descriptions and default icon can be tweaked?

PS: Is there an easy way to edit a LOC file so that the descriptions and default icon can be tweaked?

It's been a while since I used LOC files. Premium members typically use GPX files which contain a lot more information.

You can try other programs such as GSAK which allow you to manipulate, edit the data you dump into it. There are others besides GSAK which provide functionality such as this, so look around and see which best fits your needs. You can check out Caching Central for a caching site I'm putting together. I directly linked you to the software apps section.

Yes, in EasyGPS, hi-lite the waypoint to be edited,then right click to bring up another menu. Chose edit and it offers various options. Save after editing and u/l to you GPSr.

You need to think about using GSAK and a Palm or PPC to go "paperless". You won't regret it. <_< Remember to use EasyGPS for your GPSr file and GSAK for your Palm/PPC file edits. I don't think they are interchangeable.

EDIT:spelling

Edited by Destitute

Yes, in EasyGPS, hi-lite the waypoint to be edited,then right click to bring up another menu. Chose edit and it offers various options. Save after editing and u/l to you GPSr.

You need to think about using GSAK and a Palm or PPC to go "paperless". You won't regret it. <_< Remember to use EasyGPS for your GPSr file and GSAK for your Palm/PPC file edits. I don't think they are interchangeable.

EDIT:spelling

GSAK outputs to most GPSrs. It also outputs to streets & Trips / Autoroute

I used to use about half a dozen different applications to plan my trips, now I use just GSAK and S&T/AutoR.

This is thanks to Premium Membership and some carefully targeted Pocket queries that get every cache in the UK updated weekly. S&T/Autort also has a great find within a certain distance of a route feature that is ideal for roadtrips.

Thanks to this combo, my normal caching day is about 20 caches, and my record, which broke the UK record is 34.

I'm looking forward to caching in the USA when I move there next year, as California where we are going has over 12,000 caches in an area roughly twice the size of the UK, which has 3,200, so about twice the cache density. (and half the fuel cost)