Garmin "legend" Problem

While out chasing down a few cache sites our Legend unit suddenly malfunctioned. It was working fine, and has for almost a year. After tracking the road on the map screen to our second cache of the day I put the unit on the trunk of our car while I put on my backpack. When I picked the unt up and went to change the screen it went to a "bar code-like" display. It had not been dropped or had any other type of abuse.

I turned the unit off then back on - no help. Checked the batteries, they were good. Changed the batteries - no help. Moved to a new location (thinking it might be interference from power lines or a GPS signal "black hole") - no help.

Has my Legend died or are there any other suggestions as to what may be the problem. I've already sent an e-mail to the Garmin support center but being a holiday weekend, they won't get back to me to me before Tuesday at the earliest.

Try this to reset your legend...

Master Reset

Warning: The Master Reset sequence will delete all routes, user waypoints, and tracks from memory.

With power off, press and hold FIND, PAGE and Click Stick, and then press POWER.

Release all four buttons after 5-10 seconds when the welcome page is displayed

All memory is now clear.

Place the unit outside with a clear view of the sky until satellites are acquired (The unit will display "3D GPS Location.")

:blink:

Did it work??

My Legend did the same thing before Garmin replaced it. I did a lot a research into this problem. It seems a ribbon of wire has a faulty connection at the display unit. I have seen a couple of sites on the web about repairing this yourself but I still had warranty. I sent mine to Garmin and had a new unit within a week.

In the mean time you can grit your teeth and try this. I discovered if I give my unit a "slight" jolt against the palm of my hand the display woulb correct itself.

I tried the Master Reset. It did delete the information that was in the unit and the display held for awhile. However, as soon as I tried using the Zoom In / Zoom Out buttons it went to "bar code" display. I guess I'll wait until Tuesday to talk with the Garmin people. Hopefully they can tell me how to correct it or get a new unit. It is still within the warranty period (just).

This problem is getting out of hand. Call Garmin and tell them how it happened. Lots of people on here have gotten their unit's replaced under warranty even though they were a few months out. :blink:

There's no point in "whacking" the unit either. I don't know how anyone can stand living with something when they know they have to intentionally jar it every once and awhile to keep it going. Get it fixed the right way. :ph34r:

Edited by vw_ev
My Legend did the same thing before Garmin replaced it. I did a lot a research into this problem. It seems a ribbon of wire has a faulty connection at the display unit. I have seen a couple of sites on the web about repairing this yourself but I still had warranty. I sent mine to Garmin and had a new unit within a week.

In the mean time you can grit your teeth and try this. I discovered if I give my unit a "slight" jolt against the palm of my hand the display woulb correct itself.

This has been a frequent problem that has been discussed here before, and yes, there are two approaches to take: Call Garmin and tell them about it. I've read many times here that Garmin is very good about fixing this even when the unit is out of warranty. Second approach is the "percussive maintenence" method of whacking it against your palm. (No, not against your Palm Pilot, the palm of your hand.)

Give Garmin a call, as I said, they've been very good about fixing units out of warranty. :blink:

:D I have had the same problem and used the percussion method myself. Glad to know that it is a known problem. I just had my legend repaired (about 6 months out of warranty) and it cost $99.00, but what I got was effectively a new Legend. According to the paper work I got back the only thing original was the case. If I remember correctly, it only took about a week to get it turned around.

This problem pops up on my Legend every once in a while, and I've found two solutions:

1. Give the unit a twist --- i.e., turn it horizontal, grasp the top in your left hand, and the bottom half in your right, and twist as if you're giving someone an "Indian Burn". It's a bit softer than 'percussive maintenance'.

2. If that doesn't work, try turning on the backlight. On my machine, the power surge for the light seems to help the ribbon connection between the back and front of the unit. I'm not sure why.

Eventually I'll have to send mine back too, but as long as these solutions work, I'll put it off.

Bartacus

Edited by bartacus

In response to the e-mail that I had sent to Garmin on Sunday, they e-mailed me an RMA # without question. However, I had spoken directly to Tech Support early on Tuesday morning and was given a RMA # from them, also without any problem. The person I spoke with first had me try the Master Reset sequence but when that didn't solve the problem he immediately gave me a number. They said that I should expect to get the unit back within two weeks of when they get it.

In response to the e-mail that I had sent to Garmin on Sunday, they e-mailed me an RMA # without question. However, I had spoken directly to Tech Support early on Tuesday morning and was given a RMA # from them, also without any problem. The person I spoke with first had me try the Master Reset sequence but when that didn't solve the problem he immediately gave me a number. They said that I should expect to get the unit back within two weeks of when they get it.

emthup.gif

:lol: I promised tht I'd let everyone know how I made out with sending my Legend back for servicing.

Having gotten an RMA # without any problem, I put my Legend in the mail at 1PM on Wednesday and requested delivery tracking from the post office. It arrived at Garmin by 9 AM on that Friday. It was back in my hands by the following Thursday looking brand new and working like its old reliable self!!

Thanks Garmin.