Hopefully Not A Stupid Question.

Me and my dawg

Hi there,

I just received my new new Etrex Venture GPS and want to go geocaching with my dog. I printed off an easy geocache near me, but not exactly sure where to start, where to park the car and go. This is what it says "The trail is located off Hwy #103. Turn onto the dirt road...". Should I know where this is because I live in the area or is there a way to tell from the webpage?

Thanks for your help.

There are several map links on the cache page. Click on the topo one. That should show you the general vicinity of the cache and the dirt road. If it doesn't show where it connect to the main road pan over until it does.

Half the fun of geocaching is trying to figure out how to get to the cache. It's one thing to know where the cache is at (Like 43d12.455 112d34.554 really means anything to most of use without GPS help) and another to know how to get there from here.

Hi there,

I just received my new new Etrex Venture GPS and want to go geocaching with my dog. I printed off an easy geocache near me, but not exactly sure where to start, where to park the car and go. This is what it says "The trail is located off Hwy #103. Turn onto the dirt road...". Should I know where this is because I live in the area or is there a way to tell from the webpage?

Thanks for your help.

If you're not sure of the area, a good start is to click on the map on the webpage. That will open it up in Mapquest, where you can zoom in and see if there's an appropriate place to park. There are also links to the left of the map, one of which will give you a satellite picture of the area where you might also be able to spot a parking lot.

You might find it handy to switch to track or map view - it shows with a line and arrow your direction and a second line shows what would be the direct path to the cache. When I find that the line to the cache is running about perpendicular to the direction I'm going in, I start looking for a turn. (Mind you, it doesn't always work...)