Garmin 60c & Temperature

I believe, like the 76s, the temp is for water temp if you have the unit connected to a fish locator on your boat that is equiped with the temp sensor.

Thats what I understand.

Uh no...

The temperature sensor is for the unit calibration of the internal crystal oscillator. The crystal is used in conjunction with the antenna for receiving the satellite signals. However, different temperatures change the physical properties of the crystal and therefore lead to little to no signal reception. To counteract this effect, there is a temperature sensor inside the unit which senses the case temperature and via a table of preset values, calibrates the crystal automatically for this "XO drift". If you somehow lose the compensation value table, the unit can automatically render a new one on its own through trial and error. This however takes a long time to do, being that the unit has to set a value of drift compensation for every single temperature degree of change.

Sounds complicated, but its really not. You'll note that the test screen also have a value of XO drift. This is the compensation value set by the GPS computer to counteract the crystal change. The older your GPS gets, the higher the number usually gets... to a certain point.

To reset the table and start over (not recommended) you'd just do a master reset on the unit.

Edited by vw_ev

If there is a temp sensor in the unit why not make that info available for the user? It is true that to utilize the "temperature" display data box you need to have water temperature info fed to the unit.

-MIQ

Edited by MIQ_WRX

The Garmin temperature reading warms up as you hold it. Knowing this Garmin is worried some idiot is going to get frost bite and sue them because his Garmin unit was telling him it was really 41º not really 17º like the weather man was telling him.

Edited by Rubberhead
The Garmin temperature reading warms up as you hold it. Knowing this Garmin is worried some idiot is going to get frost bite and sue them because his Garmin unit was telling him it was really 41º not really 17º like the weather man was telling him.

I'd be more worried about the idiot who is staring at his GPS and walks off the edge of a cliff... but yeah, I suppose.