Degree Decimal Arrrrgghh

Mosaica

Okay, very basic question here:

Take the following set of coordinates:

N 43° 29.534 W 072° 26.411

The longitude is the first bit: 43° 29.534 and the latitude is the other bit: 072° 26.411

Right so far? I can use these numbers in conjunction with my GPSr fine. The part that is confusing me is the last `seconds' part of both lat/long. I'm trying to teach myself about the difference between degrees presented as hrs/mins/secs and degrees presented as a decimal number. The way we use them here at gc.com looks like a hybrid of the two, with the hours & minutes being pretty clear, but the seconds being somehow, er, decimal-y. How can you have more than 60 seconds?

I'd like to say that I'm a very precocious 7 year old, but I'm afraid I'm just a dumb 39 year old with large gaps in her education :-) I did search the forum & check the faqs, but no luck so far. Help!

Oh, also, do any of you have a super favorite book/manual from which one can learn all about coordinate systems, using maps & compasses, orienteering, etc?

Thanks!

../Mosaica

Geocaching uses the coodinate format of Degrees, Decimal Minutes (DD MM.mmm) not Degrees Minutes Seconds (DD MM SS).

In your example, the latitude of N 43° 29.534 is read as "forty three degrees, twenty nine point five three four minutes"

If you want to convert it to DD MM SS, just multiply the decimal part by 60: .534 x 60 = 32 seconds, giving you N 43° 29' 32"

Edited by Stunod

Oh, right. Thanks! I'd done what you described with another coordinate (44 39.807) and gotten 48.42 seconds and didn't know what to do with the .42. So the above would be read `forty-four degrees, thirty-nine point eight oh seven minutes' and would render as 44° 39' 48" in the hhmmss format, right? Coolio! So, if you're using a hhmmss format to look at some map product, how can you use the extra precision given in that leftover .42? Would it be considered as a, oh, a milisecond or something?

../Mosaica

P.S. I remember a word from when I was younger --stunod seemed to mean `very drunk' or `very stoned.' The donuts aspect never occured to me. Is there some connection?

Complicating the whole DD, DM, DMS thing is people who really should know better (pilots, surveyors, map and compass instructors) use them interchangeably. Written coordinates handed to me include the following examples:

40-25-27; 121-55.25

39.56.89 x 120.00.36

40 25 36 x 121 54.23

and my favorite 39 42.5 646125 (mixing a latitude with UTM!)

Asking for clarification usually just generates frustration. Ask them which datum they used and you get a deer-in-the-headlights look.

I usually ask for their GPS and look it up myself.