City Select V. City Navigator

wherearewe,

I posted a similar question to one of the usenet GPS newsgroups last week because I'm in the process of buying a 2610 and a 60cs. I wanted to know if City Nav which comes with the 2610 works with the 60cs before I went out and spent another $130 on City Select. I received several positive responces from people indicating that they were able to use City Nav on the 60cs without any loss of functionality (specifically autorouting does work). I should have both units in a month or so -- I'll post here once I find out if it really works.

I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences (or anyone else's for that matter).

GO$Rs

I use CN5.0 on the 60CS. It works perfectly.

I think the difference is that the 60CS has less room for text for the turn instructions than the 2610, so something like would display fine on the 2610 like "I-495S TO EXIT 4A: I-95S-FREDERICKSBURG-RICHMOND" might show up as "I-495S TO EXIT 4A: I-95S-FREDE" on the 60CS. I think that with CS software, they are more careful to keep the turn instructions short. <_<

And I'm making that example and exit number up, but it's the exact type of thing that happens.

Is it a problem? No. Usually, I don't notice, and it only happens if the text to display is unusually long, like the example above. Only once has it ever resulted in confusion (imagine if the above was cut off sooner: "I-495S TO EXIT 4A: I-9" -- that's the type of confusion).

Bottom line: if you have CN from your 2610, you'd be crazy to spend $$ on CS. It autoroutes great, has all of the POIs, etc. and only occasionally do you have truncated turn messages because they don't fit in the text box.

From the beginning, CN was aimed at speaking units (StreetPilot), while CS was intended for units that doesn't have voice guidance (GPS V). In Europe, they goofed a bit, when the iQue (speaking unit) was introduced with CS maps. There weren't data enough on the maps to handle roundabouts properly. Didn't matter on "beep only" units like the GPS V.

I must be brain dead. I have a SP2610 and a 60CS and can't get the City Navigator to download to the 60CS.

It downloads fine to the 2610, then I'll disconnect the USB from the 2610 and plug it into the 60CS, try to download again, and a screen pops up telling me the map is not unlocked.

I am able to download US Topo maps and other waypoints easily to the 60CS so I don't think it's a connection problem.

If anyone has some ideas I'll try anything. I don't want to have to buy City Select.

Thanks, Jeff

I have the city nav 4.01 dlx all region from my old street pilot III with the software update to ver 5 and just started using my new GPSMap 76CS.

Darth, I had the same problem. I had to sign on to the Garmin website and get a new unlock code for my 76cs based on its serial number. It seems the original unlock code was for my Street Pilot III only and was unlocked to its serial number.

If you are the original owner of the city nav software you may be able to sign on with your coupon code and get a free unlock for a second unit. Mine had that option, did that with my 76CS's serial number, and it works just fine now.

Hope that helps clear up why it does not work.

BTW - City Nav works just fine with my 76CS. No problems with routing or routing length.

Edited by rodon