Which Gps For Survival Training?

I run a summer day camp for kids grades 6-9 called Survivor's Camp. As part of the camp experience we go to a wilderness site and learn about trail blazing and map reading etc. Fortunately I do not teach the survival portion of the curriculum. This year for the second year program we would like to include the use of GPS divices and grocaching as part of the training. I need to buy at least three GPS and of course I have a tight budget. Please recomend the best device to go with.

I run a summer day camp for kids grades 6-9 called Survivor's Camp. As part of the camp experience we go to a wilderness site and learn about trail blazing and map reading etc. Fortunately I do not teach the survival portion of the curriculum. This year for the second year program we would like to include the use of GPS divices and grocaching as part of the training. I need to buy at least three GPS and of course I have a tight budget. Please recomend the best device to go with.

I own a GPS/IPAQ combination that with all the toys cost well over $1000.00 (can you say Gadget freak??) I have a Magellan 315 that I bought as a backup. The other day I was out and didn't have the Jacket for the IPAQ GPS but had the 315, e-bay $60.00, with me and found myself near a cache. I had to manually enter the coordinates (the horror) but other than that I found that for simple caches the 315 did a fantastic job. lead me to the cache. created a route to follow back to the car. Sure the IPAQ has maps and other really cool stuff but I have to say that the Magellan 315 was a great little GPS.

Having said that. I would recommend the Magellan 315 or an etrix Yellow. something simple and easy to use. They are both cheap on e-bay so when they get broken your not out a Lot of money and because they are simple units they are both easy to teach and use.

my 2 cents worth.

Of course they cant log on to the internet from the cache site to log that all important FTF but they do work well

Wow! You're teaching maps/GPS to 6-9 year olds? That'd be a challenge. I'll offer a couple of observations. Some GPS units (like the Garmin eTrex) don't have labels on the buttons. You just learn which buttons change pages and/or select functions on that page. Other GPS units have buttons that are labeled. This may help if all the munchkins can read. You may also find that some GPS units buttons are easier to push for little fingers. It seems to me that the eTrex series buttons are harder to push than a Magellan units. Just some thoughts that come to mind.

Wow! You're teaching maps/GPS to 6-9 year olds? That'd be a challenge. I'll offer a couple of observations. Some GPS units (like the Garmin eTrex) don't have labels on the buttons. You just learn which buttons change pages and/or select functions on that page. Other GPS units have buttons that are labeled. This may help if all the munchkins can read. You may also find that some GPS units buttons are easier to push for little fingers. It seems to me that the eTrex series buttons are harder to push than a Magellan units. Just some thoughts that come to mind.

Actually, looking at a 'gold' (lowest end etrex) right here, I can tell you the buttons are labeled. (Page and PWR on the right side, and Enter and the selfexplaining arrows on the left) The problem is that the labels are only engraved on the side and not colored (black lettering on black rubber isn't the easiest to see). But its easy to use anyways, (page to change screen, and arrows to highlight/change selection, and enter to select highlighted option) so once you get all the screens figured out you can operate one handed. Well at least you can if your fingers can reach all the way around the unit.

I would go with whichever you can get cheap. If you get a Magellan 310 or 300 it may not go as many decimals as the newer models, but that shouldn't hamper the learning any.

Good luck with your camp.

Wow! You're teaching maps/GPS to 6-9 year olds? That'd be a challenge.

Uh, no. They're teaching maps and survival to kids in GRADES 6-9, so that'd be what 11-14 year olds?

Now, on the topic at hand, any reasonably current GPS will work fine, but like someone else said, you're using them with kids. Even though I'm sure they'll be careful, and you'll be watching over them, chances are still decent one will get broken. I'd either check the sales, and catch some Garmin Etrex Yellows on sale for under $100 each, check Ebay for inexpensive units, or talk with a local retailer, and see if you can get a discount on purchasing multiple units for your program. Heck, if you're working with a non-profit organization, you might even be able to find some people who have "upgraded" their units, to donate their old ones.

Please recomend the best device to go with.

Given your very basic requirements, I'd suggest a Garmin Geko 101 or 201. An eTrex "yellow" would be fine too.

In this situation, I'd go for a sturdy Garmin or Magellen and get the cheapest model. As long as you don't stray from one of those two brands you should be OK.

Please recomend the best device to go with.

Given your very basic requirements, I'd suggest a Garmin Geko 101 or 201. An eTrex "yellow" would be fine too.

In this situation, I'd go for a sturdy Garmin or Magellen and get the cheapest model. As long as you don't stray from one of those two brands you should be OK.

Given a choice I would take a higher quantity of "lesser" priced units to put more units in the hands of the students....you might also want to write/call Garmin and ask if they have any programs to aid in price consideration for edcational institutions. If you don't ask...you'll never know.

Uh, no. They're teaching maps and survival to kids in GRADES 6-9, so that'd be what 11-14 year olds?

Uh, Grades 6-9 would be 12-15 years and uh, that would be 6 years older than the age group in question. Having been in scouting for 10+ years, I can tell you that 11+ yr old Boy Scouts can be hard to teach much less pre-Cub Scout age children, so I admire anyone for tackling that one.

Check for units where you can lock the settings, that way the kids can't mess them up. A nearby search & rescue team had their Garmin GPS12s(?) set like that if I remember correctly, so they could issue them out as needed and not have to check every unit when it came back in to make sure the datum or whatever hadn't been changed.

Uh, Grades 6-9 would be 12-15 years and uh, that would be 6 years older than the age group in question.

No, read the original post, it IS the age group in question, not 6 years older...here, I'll quote and BOLD it for you

I run a summer day camp for kids grades 6-9 called Survivor's Camp.

Anyone who thinks that students in grades 6-9 would be hard to teach to use a GPS has not worked with many. Nowadays, they know more about computers, computer games and gadgets than we do! Give them a challenge, show them how fun it is, and they will take off. I have taught my grandchildren of all ages how to use my Legend and Vista, and they are now showing me things it will do that I hadn't figured out yet! Even the 6-yr-old can use one with ease. Don't underestimate kids! Just give them a chance and show them the rewards!