New Etrex Legend - Urban Environment?

dbv27

I just received my new Etrex Legend and I'm trying to figure out the basics before I try to go for a cache.

Anyway, I set a waypoint for my home. Then I walked several blocks away and set a new waypoint. Then I created a 'route' to see how I can navigate back to my home.

What I expected is that it would show me a detailed map of the streets so I could know what street to turn left/right etc. But it only shows a straight line and although it shows highways, it does not show any of the street names. Consequently I don't really understand how this helps to guide me back to home.

My question is whether I can download software that will provide street names as well as a more practical route rather than just a straight line. Or do I need to return this GPS unit and get a more expensive one? I have a limited budget so I'm hoping I won't have to do this. I only plan on using this in urban areas with streets, not on trails.

Sorry in advance if these questions are too basic but I couldn't find it in the faq. Thanks.

The Legend comes preloaded with a 'base' map. The base map will not give you a whole lot of detail other than mostly major roads and interstates. You will need to buy one of the Mapsource CDs in order to get greater map detail. As far as I know, the GPS V deluxe is the only Garmin (other than some of the car dedicated units) that actually comes packaged with the Mapsource software.

I wouldn't sell the GPS. I would just hold out for the software. The Legend is a great unit that you will enjoy :lol:

The Legend is an excellent unit. I would hold on to it. I have one and I love it.

You could create a route that would get you back to your starting point but you would have to mark multiple waypoints along the way. Every time you make a turn onto a new street, mark the waypoint. After making a few turns and marking all of the waypoints, you can create a route that will get you back to your starting point. It is a lot of work, but it's worth playing with for a while to learn how to use it.

On the way back, the pointer will tell you which direction to travel in. As you approach a turn (within 15 seconds) the pointer will change to tell you which direction to turn. It will continue to do this until you are arriving at your destination, at which time it will say "Arriving at destination".

The owner's amnual explains this, but can be hard to read. I suggest taking the manual and just go out and experiment.

Have fun.

The base map only shows major roads and hiways. I don't have any of the other maps loaded in mine, I thought they were a bit pricey.

As the others here said, you'll need Mapsource software to get detailed maps. Metroguide and Topo are the better ones. Get the former if you plan to use it mostly for traveling and navigating city streets. Topo is better for hiking, geocaching and other outdoor pursuits.

I just received my new Etrex Legend and I'm trying to figure out the basics before I try to go for a cache.

Anyway, I set a waypoint for my home. Then I walked several blocks away and set a new waypoint. Then I created a 'route' to see how I can navigate back to my home.

What I expected is that it would show me a detailed map of the streets so I could know what street to turn left/right etc. But it only shows a straight line and although it shows highways, it does not show any of the street names. Consequently I don't really understand how this helps to guide me back to home.

My question is whether I can download software that will provide street names as well as a more practical route rather than just a straight line. Or do I need to return this GPS unit and get a more expensive one? I have a limited budget so I'm hoping I won't have to do this. I only plan on using this in urban areas with streets, not on trails.

Sorry in advance if these questions are too basic but I couldn't find it in the faq. Thanks.

You said you tried to use a "route" and your GPSr gave you a straight line. If you want to see the actual path you walked you need to use the "Track feature" This feature will show you your actual path and allow you trace it back to the start (or the end). The advantage of "tracks" is the you can turn it on and forget about it. You don't have to save waypoints along the way. I use this feature while hiking.

When you save waypoints and create routes the path between each waypoint will always be a straight line.

I also got the map software and like it a lot.

I agree with CO Native. Trackback is the way to do it. Turn tracking on and go. Once at your destination, go to the main page, tracks, and save that track. Then "select" that track and choose "trackback". You'll be given an arrow to follow. It will change direction as you come to intersections where you need to turn. You probably don't need more detail.