Percentages

Spoo

I am one of those lucky ones that lives in an area with lots of listed Benchmarks.

However, my stats look like this:

33% of my hunts seem to be missing. (I generally make 2 or more efforts before making this claim)

Of my 66% finds, 1/3 of them are damaged or in poor condition.

This leaves me with about 45% of my finds being in good condition and possibly usable by a surveyor.

Anyone have any similar data?

33% of my hunts seem to be missing. (I generally make 2 or more efforts before making this claim)

Sounds like you are having a pretty good percentage. My find rate was even lower while in Cameron County, Texas during the winter. Most of the highways had been improved and widened taking out many benchmarks and railroads had been abandoned and removed. Canals had been relined and abutments replaced. Old water towers were on longer in existence. Most of my finds were marks that had been installed since 1985.

Edit: Even a 995 foot TV tower had been dismantled.

Edited by Colorado Papa

Spoo -

I guess "33% of my hunts are missing" means the same as "33% of my logs (not including notes) are Didn't-find-it".

My statistics are (not counting notes):

57% Found it

41% Didn't find it

2% Marked as destroyed

I have no records of how many I would consider to be in "poor" condition, but I imagine maybe 4%. The definitions of "poor condition" I've seen are a bit loose and subjective, in my opinion.

My Didn't find it percentage is an extremely biased sample since there are many PIDs that I don't search for at all, assuming a 95% certainty that visiting the place would be fruitless when I read about the mark on the GC site.

I never search for intersection stations (water towers, church steeples, smokestacks, etc.).

Found = 65.6 percent (592 marks)

Did not find = 34.4 percent (310 marks)

plus a number logged as "destroyed" or "note" (due to inaccessibility)

I do search for intersection stations, but I also search for marks that are low-probability marks (previously not found by other hunters, etc).

71.1 percent of my finds are "first time finds" (362 marks)

Plus I've found 51 marks that either no not have PIDs or have PIDs but are not in the Geocaching db.

My finds include

383 disks,

33 rods,

21 Mason-Dixon stones,

12 other stones,

123 vertical structures (church spires, tanks, antennas, etc), and,

20 other things (chiseled squares, etc.)

Well, if we are giving statistics, of 256 log entries,

123 FOUND

107 NOT FOUND

18 DESTROYED

8 NOTES

This total does not include the obvious NOT FOUND/DESTROYED in the widening of US 281 from Brownsville to McAllen, Texas. Most of these had been placed in the canal abutments which were all destroyed and replaced when the highway was widened. I must have checked out about 50 of them and found only one still intact. The description for them said they were 3 feet above the highway and 22+/- feet from the centerline. They are now underground and 75-100 feet from the centerline.

Edited by Colorado Papa

7 -

You have a lot of cool statistics and a huge number of finds!

I think I've found only 3 or 4 non-disks.

My first to find percentage is 98.3%. A couple of the non-first-times was when you beat me to the PIDs by a couple hours. :D The other 2 were in TX where I wanted to be sure to get a couple finds there while on a business trip.

My rate of finds is approximately 1/3 PID per day.

Don't blame me for taking this opportunity to brag, it is all Spoo's fault for starting this thread. :D:D

We have:

13 not found

7 destroyed

4 notes

238 found

Of the 238 found:

8 are pre-1900

7 are towers/verticals

2 are rock cairns (both are 1871's)

1 Iron post

1 wood post

1 drill hole

2 chiseled squares

1 set vertical in a church

1 painted spot

1 triangle blaze on a tree (RM only)

1 mountain peak

1 non NGS marker of the Powell Survey Monument, which established the baseline for surveying the entire Grand Canyon.

Thank you for letting us crow a bit more, since most of our friends just don't understand our addiction! :D The pleasure of finding and then posting here outweighs their comments!

John & Shirley

I show

162 found

66 not found

6 destroyed

10 notes

71% find rate

We seem to be all over the place on this one. We are losing a lot to construction, mostly road widenings, but we aren't as bad as some areas seem to be. I haven't travelled far for my marks--about a 30-40 mile circle. Even within that area I get better luck some places more than others.

Matt

7 found

10 not found

6 destroyed

1 note (which will be destroyed as soon as I can go take pictures)

Plus about another 1/2 dozen where I have asked Deb to look at the notes because they were previously listed as destroyed in notes, and were not marked destroyed - about 1/2 of these are now offically destroyed

So far, I haven't had much time to go far afield. I don't really look for ones that have been reported in the 90s or later, and most around here have been. Most of the "Not found" marks are in areas where there have been extreme amounts of construction, and I'm fairly sure they are gone - like the whole bridge abutment has been replaced - but I don't have proof

Don't blame me for taking this opportunity to brag, it is all Spoo's fault for starting this thread. :D:D

We have:

13 not found

7 destroyed

4 notes

238 found

Of the 238 found:

8 are pre-1900

7 are towers/verticals

2 are rock cairns (both are 1871's)

1 Iron post

1 wood post

1 drill hole

2 chiseled squares

1 set vertical in a church

1 painted spot

1 triangle blaze on a tree (RM only)

1 mountain peak

1 non NGS marker of the Powell Survey Monument, which established the baseline for surveying the entire Grand Canyon.

Thank you for letting us crow a bit more, since most of our friends just don't understand our addiction! :) The pleasure of finding and then posting here outweighs their comments!

John & Shirley

We need to update our list as of yesterday. We added another Cairn (1902 and we the first to log it!), a chiseled square (1934 and we were the first to log it!), and another set vertically in a wall. :lol::)

249 finds now.

Thanks Spoo for this thread. :D

John & Shirley