Travel Bug Admin Question

nfa

Hi,

If I would like to issue a geocoin (like 30-50), would it be possible for Groundspeak to issue me some TB numbers so that they could function in the system?

nfa

Edit: haven't had coffee, having trouble typing

Edited by NFA

Don't have time to look up the thread, but I'm pretty sure the answer is "no".

They did do it way back with the very 1st geocoin ever made (Moun10bike's, took a few yrs, but I scored one of his last weekend, whoo hoo!), but thats about it. Even all the various state coins track off-site.

I think it got to be too much if every person's 30-50 coin run was tracked on the site. I guess you COULD try to make a deal to purchase a block of TB numbers like I think the USA geocoins have.......

I guess you COULD try to make a deal to purchase a block of TB numbers like I think the USA geocoins have.......

That's what I was talking about...sorry to be unclear...I would like to buy a block of 30-50 TB numbers so that the geocoins I make can be tracked on gc.com.

Thanks,

NFA

You can always buy 30-50 travel bugs (at the standard rates) and use the numbers on those TBs. You're not obligated to actually use the tag that comes along.

However buying individual numbers or blocks of individual numbers is not yet possible (those I belive both have been suggested in the past). It's been awhile since the last time so feel free to post the suggestion in the web site section of the forum.

I guess you COULD try to make a deal to purchase a block of TB numbers like I think the USA geocoins have.......

That's what I was talking about...sorry to be unclear...I would like to buy a block of 30-50 TB numbers so that the geocoins I make can be tracked on gc.com.

Thanks,

NFA

Gotcha.

Best bet might be to try emailing contact@Groundspeak.com directly then.

Not that this matters, but I was just wondering about the fairly small number you intend to get? From reading the discussions on having these coins minted, a large part of the cost is setup. It seems like you need to have a fairly large amount minted to bring the cost per coin to a reasonable level.

Hi,

Thanks for your constructive, thoughful, criticism...it led me to what I think is a great idea...anyway, here is a copy of the email I sent to contact@geocaching.com:

Hi,

I would like to buy a block of 50 TB numbers from gc.com for a crazy idea I would like to try out.

I would like to send 50 great books around the country via Geocachers.  I’m a teacher, and have long covered books in my classroom with contact paper (clear normally) to help them last longer.  I think that a paperback wrapped in contact paper, and double-bagged in freezer-weight Ziploc bags could make it around the country for a year or so before getting trashed (and in the event that they were trashed, the cacher finding the tired book could replace it). 

The TB tracking number would be laminated into the inside cover and protected by contact paper.

I would really like to try this out, all gc.com has to lose is 50 TB numbers (which I’m happy to pay for, although I’d prefer not to have to pay for dogtags I won’t be using).

Please give this idea of mine some consideration, I think it would be great fun.

Thanks,

NFA

Thanks,

NFA