Reference Monuments...

Kewaneh & Shark

Check out what I found today...

8e7ee81f-5dba-4aa8-b096-27ef1faf35ec.jpg

I've seen marks displaced, but never stacked together. These are the reference monuments for GU3381 in Fresno County, California. (RM1 on the right, RM2 on the left.) The station itself was not located and has probably seen the same fate as the RM's, although the underground mark is most likely still there. The azmuth mark was found a half mile to the east.

- Kewaneh

They were probably displaced by the adjacent farmers and/or landowners. The area is predominantly ag lands and the farmers try to get as much use out of the land as possible. Around here, most of the marks that are placed in the ag areas are positioned inside public right-of-way, but often, that right-of-way is not easily defined. At the particular street intersection that this mark was placed, the roads are defined with the county (on paper) as public right-of-way, however the roads have not ever been developed or maintained. At present, they are simply farm roads between the crops and fields. (At this intersection, there are cotton, grapes and almonds on different sides of the roads.)

From what I could determine, the station mark and the reference marks were positioned inside the public and adjacent railroad right-of-ways. It also looked to me that the adjacent farmers have been encroaching into those right-of-ways. Taking an extra few inches every season (it may or may not be intentional) adds up to a number of feet over time. In those few extra feet, another row or two or three of crops can be planted. The positions for the station marks and RMs are now in the farmed land. The farmers probably got tired of hitting them with their equipment so the reference marks and settings were removed.

Since the station mark was not in the pile with the, RMs it could be a safe assumption the it is still in place. At least the underground monument would be. From what I could tell, the station's position landed closer to the intersection and the farming activities have not encroached on it yet. It may be safe. It did look like the road had been lifted a bit - the farmers may have brought in dirt to raise the road to help with irrigation - so the surface mark may be buried.

- Kewaneh