How Do I Find Others In My Area?

Milbank

How do you find other people in your area that do this too?

In searching a geocache in my area by using my zip code it lookes as if there are a couple of people that maybe in my area as the caches they placed are not to far from me.

I email a couple of them to let them know I was new to geocaching and that I have found one so far.

I have not heard any replies back.

I would be interested in get together with others in my area and even starting a local group/club if there is not already one I don't know about.

How should I go about searching for others in my area?

Thanks,

JP

linux@wat.midco.net

Milbank, SD

N.E. South Dakota near the SD/MN border

I think you really want to get out there and search for more before you really try to make contacts... that way people will recognize who you are, know that you are into the game and not think you're just some fruit-loop scanning the boards trying to make contacts.

That said, I've met MANY fabulous people through gc.com, online and in person... but I have had a few, hm, ODD bits of email...

[paraphrasing a real life email from a 'local guy' who might have had one find to his name (or none, I don't remember) here:]

"Just got my GPSr that I found on the side of the road a couple of years ago back from my dad. It's a XXXyyy. Don't have the manual but was wondering if we could get together and maybe figure this thing out."

I was REALLY busy that month. I mean, terribly busy. Didn't even have time to go to the bathroom.

Be patient, cache around a bit. You'll meet people soon.

-=-

michelle

Well, there are two things you can do.

1. Go out and find LOTS of caches. Even if you don't run into anyone on the trails, names will start to sound familiar, and you can figure out who the locals are.

2. Host an event cache, or if there's already one on the schedule in your area, attend it. Generally, if you post it, they will come. Check the cache pages of previous events to get a feel for the kind of thing people in your area are interested in doing at event caches.

Go to the main gc.com page and select South Dakota from the drop-down menu at the right. From the resulting page, you'll see under the state license plate is a link to your local group. Don't know how "local" it is to you, but the group is at:

http://www.gpgeocaching.com/

The other way to find locals is to read the logs of caches you find and/or the logs of caches near you. You'll start to recognize some of the more common names and can make your contacts that way.