Is This Right????

I recieved an email from the fine folks at Geocaching.com stating that one of my find logs had been removed... I found this cache last July... The owner archived the cache after it was stolen... I don't know if all the other logs were deleted but mine was... The cacher made a new cache out of the old one ( used the same name)... Many of the caches I have found have been archived, but no one has deleted the logs... is there anyway I can get my find back????????

Coast2coast2coast

Edited by coast2coast2coast

You can try posting it again. Just because the cache is archived, doesn't mean you can't post to it. You might want to ask the owner why he did it. Making new caches out of old pages and deleting the old logs is simply unacceptable and it may be a violation of GC.COM's rules, because it circumvents the approval process.

Deleting legit finds happens more often than people realize. Often it's a juvenile way of getting back at a geocacher that the owner had a falling out with. Anyway, I think it's wrong to delete legit logs unless they contain profanity, or spoilers...and then only then if the owner asked the person to change the log and they refused.

Edited by briansnat
... I think it's wrong to delete legit logs unless they contain profanity, or spoilers...

Brian is obviously the person who can answer this question: Are all those "Note" logs that people write in place of "DNF" legitimate or illegitimate logs?

A typical excuse in such notes is that the individual was "forced to stop searching because of approaching darkness." (The individual might have spent the entire day searching for the cache ... or the individual might have searched for 10 minutes at high noon. I suppose that in the latter example, darkness is, in fact, technically approaching, even if it is still 6 hours away.)

Hey, for that matter, what about all those "Note" logs people write in place of "Found it?" (I think those are definitely illegitimate and should be deleted IMMEDIATELY!) :)

On the other matter ... logs are actually "archived" and not "deleted" and have been recovered by TPTB in the past.

Edited by Bassoon Pilot
I recieved an email from the fine folks at Geocaching.com stating that one of my find logs had been removed... I found this cache last July... The owner archived the cache after it was stolen... I don't know if all the other logs were deleted but mine was... The cacher made a new cache out of the old one ( used the same name)... Many of the caches I have found have been archived, but no one has deleted the logs... is there anyway I can get my find back????????

Coast2coast2coast

The owner made a couple of errors, none apparently with malicious intent. If he re-worked the cache in such a way that it was substantially different from the original, he should have simply created a new cache page, and left the old one alone. If he simply wanted to continue with the existing cache, he should have just asked a reviewer to re-review and unarchive the old cache.

Deleted logs can be restored, but it's a tricky proposition. It's not possible to know which logs were good logs that were accidently deleted, and which were deleted on purpose and shouldn't be restored.