Exporting A Geko 201 Track Log To Gsak

Tracklogs into GSAK??? ;) I'm not sure that GSAK supports tracklogs. What could you do with a tracklog in GSAK anyway?

Correct. Only waypoints are supported in GSAK. If someone can come up with a compelling reason to support tracks in GSAK I will add this to the "to do" list.

You’ve asked the question that I should have asked but didn’t because I am a GSAK newbie and am just learning about how to make my GPS and PC work together. Thanks, GeckoGeek, NightPilot and ClydeE for bearing with me while I get my bearings on this stuff.

Functionally, I’m trying to plot my tracks on a topo map and aerial photo. We’re doing some trail planning and just generally interested in seeing what the technology can do. I will indeed experiment with USAPhotoMap. It would be interesting to be able to display the logs made in other countries too.

I have played around with GPS Visualizer, which looks interesting, but I could not find a way to get the track log off the GPS and to my PC. As a GSAK novice, I had assumed that it would allow me to fetch all of the files off my GPS, not just the waypoints. I’ll try your recommendations soon and report back.

I appreciate your recommendation of software to have on my PC next to GSAK. Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys.

I have used ExpertGPS for plotting tracks- and it works directly with your GPS. You can plot your track on topographic maps or aerial photos from terraserver. It also allows you to scan in your own maps- this feature sets it apart for the other free programs available. Expert GPS is $59 (i think), but you can download a 21 day trial version for free.

OziExplorer is another program that does the same kinds of things, has a few more features, but is a little more $$ ($89 I think).

There is also Quakemap. You can download a trial version, and purchace a full featured license for $9.99. Not as feature rich as OziExplorer or ExpertGPS.

You may also want to check out this recent thread about mapping tracks.

(edit: spelling)

Edited by gbod

If you just want to view the tracks on a map or photo, USAPhotomaps is the way to go. It will show either topo maps or aerial photos. I haven't tried viewing locations outside the US with it. GPSTrackmaker may do that, but I haven't tried that one either. Perhaps OziExplorer?

Edited by NightPilot
If someone can come up with a compelling reason to support tracks in GSAK I will add this to the "to do" list.

This may not be convincing enough, but the first reason that comes to mind is for use as an arc filter.

For example, I recently made a trip from PA to MO, almost entirely on I-70. I now have an arc, much more precisely defined than if I were to hand generate one, for future use (or sharing with others) for filtering "caches along a route".

Currently, I open the route in ExpertGPS, highlight it, drag all the trackpoints into the waypoint window (making them "become" waypoints), then bring it into GSAK for filtering. Having GSAK recognize tracks/routes would save a step.

I'm still on the learning curve for GSAK, and I'm certainly no programmer, so I don't know what's required to implement it, but that's how I would use it if it were possible.

If someone can come up with a compelling reason to support tracks in GSAK I will add this to the "to do" list.

This may not be convincing enough, but the first reason that comes to mind is for use as an arc filter.

For example, I recently made a trip from PA to MO, almost entirely on I-70. I now have an arc, much more precisely defined than if I were to hand generate one, for future use (or sharing with others) for filtering "caches along a route".

Currently, I open the route in ExpertGPS, highlight it, drag all the trackpoints into the waypoint window (making them "become" waypoints), then bring it into GSAK for filtering. Having GSAK recognize tracks/routes would save a step.

I'm still on the learning curve for GSAK, and I'm certainly no programmer, so I don't know what's required to implement it, but that's how I would use it if it were possible.

Interesting, and I will admit, quite a valid point. Perhaps not enough to warrant full blown track support (though I think eventually I will have to do this) I like your idea of creating the arc filter directly from the GPS. I still have a few things to add to GSAK that will take priority, but consider this one added "to the list"

Fair enough. Also, with the ability of ExpertGPS to actually hand-draw routes and tracks onto maps and aerial photos for upload to the gps, it would be nice to be able to save/import a .gpx containing the route/track and have it recognized without actually having to convert it into a series of waypoints.

BTW, even though I'm still learning everything that GSAK can do, it's quickly moved into a tie with ExpertGPS on my list of "Most useful software tools for geocachers". Thanks for all the work you've already put in!