San Juan Islands Caches

shunra

Three caches on the San Juan Islands have moved up into my nearest-20 list, and I might want to give that area some attention this summer. Since they're on several islands, I'd probably have to spread it over more than one day. I understand that taking the car across is quite expensive, but once you're there, the ferries between the islands are free. I thought I might want to take along a bicycle, and do the San Juans that way. On the other hand, takign the car would allow me to penny-pinch on hotel costs, since I would just sleep in the car. This might be an important consideration, since the San Juans tend to be pricey in general.

I see there are currently 7 caches on San Juan Island, 6 on Orcas Island, 3 on Lopez Island and 1 on Shaw Island - all these islands are connected by ferries. Is there anyone who has done a cache-focused trip up to the San Juans, who would have some good suggestions? There are a few more caches on some of the smaller islands in the area, but getting to those would be an undertaking for another time.

Thanks!

sounds like another good event cache. I'd might be interested in doing this. I don't have any info regarding motels, etc. Never been to the San Juans ever. Well, I've fished aorund them but not been on land.

I've been to teh Sucia Island 17 years ago on a school geology fieldtrip. I want to go back. You have to arrange a boat ride or a float plane though. Not srue if there is a cache on Sucia or not...if not, needs one.

Don't know how I missed this.

Orcas Island has a State Park (Moran) with camping grounds and all the amenities including a couple of fresh water lakes for fishing, non-combustion boating and swimming. I've been meaning to try this camp site as it has some trails with wonderful views. That might help reduce your costs while maintaining a base camp to come back to.

sounds like another good event cache. I'd might be interested in doing this. I don't have any info regarding motels, etc. Never been to the San Juans ever. Well, I've fished aorund them but not been on land.

I've been to teh Sucia Island 17 years ago on a school geology fieldtrip. I want to go back. You have to arrange a boat ride or a float plane though. Not srue if there is a cache on Sucia or not...if not, needs one.

Yah I remember when fishing used to be good up there too. My Grandpa and Grandma have a beach house on Guemes. If they weren't lost in their Alzheimer's, they would gladly let us camp on their beach. I remember catching so many salmon you could be choosey. I remember groups of Orcas that would swim by on a daily basis going after those same salmon. Both of those are rare now.

I understand that taking the car across is quite expensive, but once you're there, the ferries between the islands are free.

I believe inter-island travel is only free for walk on passengers. I grew up on Lopez and have to admit that the number of times I took my car from Lopez to another island is amazingly few, and they do change policy now and again. But I'm pretty sure you still have to pay a fare for inter-island travel if you have a vehicle.

Bikes, I'm not sure about. http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/ should have that info.

For what it's worth, I think 2 of the 3 caches on Lopez are at Odlin park which is only a mile from the Ferry Landing. So if you were in a pinch for time, you could get off the ferry, look for those, then get right back on another ferry continuing West.

Also, there's a very good chance I'll be hiding my first cache ever on Lopez sometime over the 4th of July weekend when I'm up there for a few days.

I understand that taking the car across is quite expensive, but once you're there, the ferries between the islands are free.

I believe inter-island travel is only free for walk on passengers. I grew up on Lopez and have to admit that the number of times I took my car from Lopez to another island is amazingly few, and they do change policy now and again. But I'm pretty sure you still have to pay a fare for inter-island travel if you have a vehicle.

Bikes, I'm not sure about. http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/ should have that info.

You're right. It says here:

Passengers and Bicycles ride free! All other fares are collected Westbound Only.

Currently, there are two caches there:

* Sea Monkey Cache (hasn't been found yet)

* Susie Sushi Sucia.

I've done all the caches on Orcas except the water one. Wow, someplace I've been that EGH hasn't! They are quite scenic and enjoyable. Haven't been to the other islands, though, but it sounds like a great field trip.

You're only supposed to log them once, though :o

Edited by Shunra
I thought I might want to take along a bicycle, and do the San Juans that way. On the other hand, takign the car would allow me to penny-pinch on hotel costs, since I would just sleep in the car.

I took my bike over to San Juan Island on Sept 8, 1999 just for kicks. It's the only one of the San Juans I have been to. Here are my experiences:

Good: The fare was very cheap. The bike surcharge was like $1.50 over the walk-on fare. There are lockers right across from the ferry terminal in Friday Harbor where you can stash your change of clothes, etc to travel light. There is a lodging establishment on the southern part of the island called the "Pedal Inn" which is set up just for bicyclists. I didn't stay there, just noticed it while riding past.

Bad: The pavement was very coarse and rough. There are ALOT of hills, some of them brutal. Shoulders are narrow to nonexistent. Traffic was heavy. Whenever a ferry disgorged it's load you would have 150 cars and trucks go whistling by in a row. The ride was very exhausting for me, and I ride the 200-mile STP every year.

It might be better to go as a walk-on and rent a motor scooter on the Island. I saw these all over the Island. Or just pay up and take the car. I did have fun on the bike that day though.

Orcas Island has a State Park (Moran) with camping grounds and all the amenities ....

This park BY FAR is my favorite.. I am the owner of the cache Morans Mug, and I would hazard to say, that it has the BEST view I have ever seen from a cache site..

(image edited)

though I might be biased. :o

Ah yep... I think that's where I want to schedule my next camping vacation with the family. Thanks for the pic!

A couple of times now, I have taken my bicycle (and bike trailer) on tours of the San Juans. The cost was minimal and the interisland fare was free. You get on the ferry first and you leave the ferry first. We camped at a number of campgrounds. Both were fantastic visits.

In the future, I would do one of two options. A) Board the ferry with a bicycle and stay at some of the many B & Bs or :( Get a motel in Anacortes and daily take the ferry with my bike, maybe a new island per day.

With that many caches on the islands, I guess I'd better get planning a little more seriously.