Help With A Couple Of Geocaches Please :)

Hi everyone,

I've recently tried to get a couple caches that left me stumped because I wasn't sure what to do...

One cache says to go to listed coordinates and once I'm there to "Walk towards a bearing (azimuth) of 2 degrees magnetic" What does this mean? I'm not sure if they even apply, but if the original cache coordinates where N 44 04.359 W 123 02.013 what would the new coords be?

The other cache has several puzzles to get single digit numbers for A, B, C, D, E, and F. Then it says "Project a waypoint for A.BC miles at DEF degrees magnetic." I have no idea how to do that? Here's a link to the cache page... Stewarts Pond

I guess I don't have GPS navigation lingo down too well...

Thanks for any help :rolleyes:

im not sure about the magnetic degrees thing but projecting a waypoint is relatively easy.

make sure your gps is set to magnetic insead of true (look in setup to change)

go the the cache waypoint page - go to the menu - select project waypoint - name it - enter distance - enter bearing. thats it

PS I use a Garmin

Edited by greengolftee87

There are 3 ways of expressing north, magnetic, true and grid.

True north will point you exactly to Earth's north pole. This format is most widely used with GPS systems.

Magnetic north is the direction that a compass needle points. Earth's magnetic north pole isn't located at the physical pole. When someone asks you to use magnetic north, that usually means pull out your compass.

Grid north is mostly used for UTM coordinates.

AS far as using your GPS to project a way point based upon magnetic north, it may not be that accurate. Depending on where in the world you are, there could be a significant difference between the north your GPS points to and the north your compass points too.

Edited by WH
I tried what greengolftee87 suggested but it's not the same for Magellan GPS units. Anyone know how to project a waypoint with a Sportrak Map?

I have the same unit and I think I remember reading something about it.

I think it might be under the menu, look for "Simulation" or something?

We have a Magellan Platinum & for us we HAVE to be on the main latitude/longitude screen BEFORE we press menu, then you arrow down to Projection & press enter, then you tell it how far & the distance & then press save & go to. We do not know if your unit is set up the same or not, so we hope this helps a little.

Neat lil' critters, these GPSr's. :o

~Shirley~