send coordinates from easy gps to s&t

Renyoldman

Or, you could take the lazy mans way out- what I do when going from Easy GPS to Mapsource or GPS Trackmaker is to simply send the coordinates from Easy GPS to my eTrex Legend, and then download them into Mapsource or GPS Trackmaker. Takes almost zero time to do, and saves all that *$%*$ing pointing and clicking. Cheers

You're willing to chuck the whole thing because it only displays decimal degrees? When the conversion is so easily done, and you get the same level of accuracy...

I guess my question is does Street Atlas have all of the same features (or more) than Streets and Trips? The one I like the best through MS is points near a route. Using that feature will enable me to scope caching points near a major interstate, or my intended route.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Street Atlas has points of interest but never tried to check to see if it would pick up points I've imported in (caches). I convert using a calculator, which is an easy step, but it's a step I was hoping not to have to do icon_smile.gif since Geocaching is DD MM.MMM and my GPSr is DD MM.MMM. I'm still playing with it a little so I haven't totally given up.

SeventhSon

== If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you. ==

I'm not sure what it is you want to do with Streets & Trips, but when you convert your .loc or .gpx files to S&T .csv files you can import them directly into S&T and they will all show up in the proper locations. You don't have to manually convert the lat/lon format. Or maybe you already know all that and you have some other reason for needing to convert?

Can Street Atlas read loc files directly?

Geobuddy acts as a translation file that will convert loc files into the proper format for uploading to Streets and Trips. To date, I don't know of any mapping program like Street Atlas or Streets and Trips that will read loc files directly.

The neat thing about Geobuddy is that it does more than translation - it can also merge loc files.

Let's say you wanted to travel through Nebraska on I-80 for business. Problem: given the unreliability of Pocket Queries lately, and the limit on the number of Pocket Queries per account, you may or may not be able to get the information you want.

You CAN go to the Nebraska search results and pick and choose caches to download into loc files (or download them all). You'll have to do this for each page, which means 10 separate loc files for the current 231 caches in Nebraska.

Geobuddy will take those 10 files and combine them into 1 file, and then export the contents to a csv file for Streets and Trips. Then you can choose your route through Nebraska and how far off the main path (1 mile, 5 miles) you're willing to go. Streets and Trips will give you those caches.

Sure Geobuddy is an intermediate step, but IMHO the results far outweigh any difficulties.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

OK let's make sure that it's Geobuddy.

When Geobuddy opens a file, you can "Save As" and change the file type. The last one in the list is Streets and Trips. Save it, and it will be a TXT file.

Open Streets and Trips and Choose the "Import" feature (I can't remember which menu it's under, but I access it with Ctrl-I). Find the file and follow the wizard.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

It looks like Geobuddy only works with Garmin at this point. Since it is now part of Topografx (EasyGPS and ExpertGPS), think they will make it compatible with Magellans? Just wondering.

Catcher24

"You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." Jim Bouton

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

OK let's make sure that it's Geobuddy.

When Geobuddy opens a file, you can "Save As" and change the file type. The last one in the list is Streets and Trips. Save it, and it will be a TXT file.

Open Streets and Trips and Choose the "Import" feature (I can't remember which menu it's under, but I access it with Ctrl-I). Find the file and follow the wizard.

http://www.markwell.us

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com

My problem was getting Geobuddy to open the file. I finally got it to work last night but I'm still not sure what I did right. I think, maybe, you have to save from EasyGPS as a .loc file? I don't remember...I was in a stupor from struggling with the thing for 3 hours.

Anyway..thanks Markwell....I HATE all these proprietary file types. - JamesJM

quote:
Originally posted by JamesJM:

My problem was getting Geobuddy to open the file. I finally got it to work last night but I'm still not sure what I did right. I think, maybe, you have to save from EasyGPS as a .loc file? I don't remember...I was in a stupor from struggling with the thing for 3 hours.

You must get LOC files from the geocaching.com, not GPX files. If you are using EasyGPS, you must save as LOC. Then, just drag and drop the files onto the GeoBuddy icon or onto the GeoBuddy window if it's already running.

GeoBuddy really shouldn't be that hard, so something else may be happening here. Proprietary file formats are the pits, which is why GeoBuddy exists in the first place. I originally wrote it because I couldn't get geocaching waypoints into MapSource without going through my GPSr.

FWIW, the new GPX format removes a lot of the need for GeoBuddy. If you use GPX and EasyMPS, you can open the files right in MapSource without going through the "convert to .wpt" step.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631