2 Cache Days In London - Assistance

Ranboze

I'll be in London for 2 full days in early May for the sole purpose of caching. Would love and appreciate some recommendations for some London powercaching. A while back, I read about a park area in the suburbs (?) of London, accessible by train in which there were a handful of caches. I can't remember the name of that park, now... nor how to get there. Any help would be much appreciated. Also.... might be kinda fun to meet a local cacher at a pub, if anyone's interested.

Im from Long Beach, California.

In Hyde Park, Green Park , Kensington Gardens and St James Park there are approx 30+ micro caches.

The Sherlock caches are also in the same Area as is the Safari Cache (watch out for the last position being closed)

Also the Rainbow caches are within walking distance of them as well

London has many many caches in the centre areas which can be walked to and would easily fill a 2 day cache run

S&G

Hopefully OzGuff (43 London caches in one overnight run) and Seasider (40 London caches in one day) will be along shortly to provide some London powercaching advice.

My pieces of advice would be: Buy an A-Z, bring a torch and use Streetmap before you travel to plot the caches. And be prepared to tackle some of the caches in the twilight hours, it's just a lot quieter then ;-)

Always happy to meet fellow cachers for a drink or to do some joint caching.

- Neil.

What you want is the Cacher's Tube Map

And the UK Interactive Map

Zoom into London to see how things are laid out, and click on the dots to view the caches.

Note that the underground goes right to the edge of the capital to the NE and NW (if not beyond), but is nowhere near the outer suburbs to the south.

Richmond has an interesting multi-cache in the town centre, and another one in Richmond Park.

Epping Forest, to the NE has a number of caches as you can see on the Tube Map and is probably the place you heard about, although I live the other side of London so do not know the area well.

Caches I would personally recommend include Old Father Thames Not only great views of the city from across the river, but you get to play Cold War spy trying to retrieve a cache in open view of the many passers by.

Also this one - As well as the Tube, London has some other good rail networks. Take a train from Victoria to East Croydon, then a Tram to Coombe Lane on the line to New Addington Addington Hills. The cache is a simple one, but on a clear day you can see 30 miles or more across London to Landmarks like Windsor Castle etc. There is a Chinese Restaraunt near the viewing point that appears popular. It should take you less than an hour to get from Victoria to Coombe Lane.

As for many of the Central London caches, although many are virtuals, the subjects are always interesting. Be warned that much of Central London is terrible for GPS coverage though with tall buildings and narrow streets.

I just e-mailed you with thought on the process. It was sort of stream of consciousness so may not be all that coherent, but after 14 hours of straight caching through the night I am still not exactly myself! :D

Best of luck! :D

And I am sure that you will have no takers on the pub offer -- UK cachers seldom take the time to drink a pint... :D

P.S. To the UK: This guy has 1,100+ caches under his belt -- he will probably trounce any one-day records in central London!

Edited by OzGuff