Geko Mounting Solutions

Does anyone here use a mounting solution for the Garmin Geko? I'm

trying to work out how the Geko connects to the mount. With the eTrex

you replace the battery cover. None of the pictures on Garmin's website

show how the Gekos do it.

A quick digital photo showing the answer would be superb.

The reason for asking: I already have a modular vent mount for my cell phone. I can dismantle it to relocate the phone and would like to find a mount for the Geko. I'm wondering if I can do something funky with a replacement bike mount clip.

All and any advice greatly received.

TIA.

- Neil.

What I use is a homemade jobby. I went to my local home improvement store and bought a 2" PVC 45 degree elbow, hub-hub, and a cap for one end, total price about $2. I had some .5" rubber lying around from something else, and attached a circle of that to the other end with silicone RTV, to add some weight and stability. I attached a cheapie cell phone holder to the cap with mounting tape, and voila', a GPS holder that fits in a cup holder, with the GPS where I can easily see it. I use a reradiating antenna from PC-Mobile, so I don't have to put the GPS in the windshield. I have an eTrex Legend, but this should work for most GPSrs. There is another thread somewhere with pictures showing lots of solutions, and I got my idea from someone who had turned some wood on a lathe to make a holder that sits in his cup holder. Mine is cheaper and easier, but perhaps not as elegant.

I place it on top of the dashboard pad.

This is basicly an anti-slip pad that sticks to your dashboard. It peels off easily enough but it's never come loose on it's own and it's got a good grip on whatever sits on it. (My wallets never flown off no matter how badly I drive.)

Usually about $5. I got mine near the PDA/Phone section of the local best buy.

Edit: An online search for "Sticky Pad" is probably your best bet for finding one of these.

Edited by bons

Have you looked into the RAM mounts? I adapted a ram mount to my universal Arkon PDA mount and I'm happy with it. I already had the Arkon mount and I like it better than the cradle that RAM uses for the ipaq. The ipaq sleeve stays in the mount plugged in so that I can just slide my ipaq in or out without messing with the power cable.

rammount.jpg

Edited by JeepCachr

Thanks to everyone for all their suggestions. As it happens I found a suitable solution in one of the cell phone retailers here in the UK, one of their own universal cell phone holders.

carholder001.jpg

carholder002.jpg

It's spring loaded just like some of the universal pda mounts you can get and as you can see it works a treat with the Geko. It has a small lip on the bottom to stop it's contents from slipping out and it's still possible to get to the data port on the top.

So I am one happy bunny :-)

- Neil.