Marker Fell Off!

Chuy!

I came across an unlisted county surveyor marker. As I was wiping the face to read the markings it came unglued from its cement block. What is the best way to glue this thing back on? Epoxy such as J&B? The glue on it resembles that used on the reflectors on asphalt. The disc is a 3 inch brass disk on a porous cement block.

We used a product called "Rapid Rock".

Cost about $40 per 5 gallon pail or often sold in 50 lb bags at concrete plants etc. Can find smaller size containers in Home Improvement centers like Lowe's and Home Depot. Can be pricey ($20 gl) in smaller containers and that is why we would buy in bulk.

Rapid Rock is a pourable, fast setting, high strength, hydraulic cement compound for anchoring and grouting.

It mixes in 1 to 3 minutes, and sets in approx. 10 minutes.

Rapid Rock achieves over 5000 psi (34.48 MPa) compressive strength in one hour, and increases to over 8000 psi (55.17 MPa) at final cure.

Rapid Rock does not shrink, and the expansion is controlled to a maximum of 0.25 percent.

Rapid Rock is used interior or exterior for anchoring bolts, reinforcing rods, hooks, posts, railings, parking meters, signs, and motors into concrete, terrazzo, block, and stucco.

DO NOT TRY TO RESET A SURVEY MARKER UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, I.E. A PROFESSIONAL IN THE FIELD. DEPENDING ON THE TYPE OF MARKER, IT MAY NOT BE ABLE TO BE RESET WITHOUT ALTERING THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE MARK/ ALSO SOMEONE IN THE FUTURE MAY USE THE MARK WITHOUT KNOWING OF ITS RESET, AND THE POSITION COULD BE ALTERED AND THAT COULD AFFECT THE WORK. CONTACT THE PERSON OR COMPANY WHO NAME IS ON THE DISK AND ADVISE THEM OF THE FACT.

Edited by elcamino
I would leave it alone and send a message to the appropriate officials and let them take care of it.

I pretty-much agree with this, although it might depend upon the location. At rock bottom, even you reglue it, you should notify the agency that owns it, and let them know what happened. And be sure to take photos, before and after! Those could be very helpful for the owner.

I came across an unlisted county surveyor marker. As I was wiping the face to read the markings it came unglued from its cement block. What is the best way to glue this thing back on? Epoxy such as J&B? The glue on it resembles that used on the reflectors on asphalt. The disc is a 3 inch brass disk on a porous cement block.

I'M TELLIN'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a big fine for destroying a benchmark!!!!! j/k B)

I agree, you should contact the authorities and let them replace it....if you don't get it in the exact spot, you could really screw up any future surveys that use that mark. My cousin is a surveyor, and he tells me even a few millimeters off on one benchmark can result in several feet off the mark at the next point.