Using City Select On Multiple Gps'rs

Chuteme

I just ordered two 60 CS's along with City Select V5. I understand you can load the software on up to 2 units. My question is, can you duplicate the CD so two people in different locations can load this or does it have to be loaded onto the units from the same PC?

Thanks!

I'm sure you could SHARE the disks, but I wouldn't want to speculate on copying them. Some program installation CDs have copy protection tracks built into them. Not sure if City Select is one of them or not. I doubt that it would since this particular title has to be unlocked to the GPSrs anyway. It might be worth it to try for yourself.

You are legally allowed to make a backup copy of any software you buy. This backup is for you in case your original gets destroyed, lost, whatever. It is not for you to give to a friend so that person doesn't have to buy the software.

Garmin allows you to load the software on multiple pc's as long as the owner is the one who is using it. So you could load it on your home pc, work pc, and laptop w/o problem. You say that you bought 2 60cs's. If one is for you and another your spouse, there should be no problem sharing the software. If one is for you and the other a friend, than you are probably graying the legality. I'm not advocating software piracy when I say this, but Garmin would probably never find out, or track you down. However, if it does break their user agreement, you would be running afoul of the law, and you need to understand that you would be running a risk of prosecution.

Thr registration of city select clearly states that it's for use and will only work on 1 GPS unit. The reg. process asks for the gps serial number. You can make a backup copy but it will only work with one GPs. If you have 2 GPS's you must buy 2 copies of the maps.

No this is not the case. City Select, City Navigator and Bluechart all allow the unlocking of up to 2 GPS's with the purchase of a single copy of these products. You go to Garmin's website to unlock an additional unit at which time you type in the serial number of the second GPS.

The license of these products is for the sole and exclusive use of one owner and not to be shared with another GPS owner. Garmin allows for 2 unlocks as a convenience and a nicety for owners of their products - they don't force you to buy 2 licenses if you have 2 of their GPS's - only one. :D But if you have a third GPS you won't be quite so happy...

Unlocks are required where the true owner of the software (not Garmin but Navtech or Digital Ocean etc) requires a significant royalty for each GPS using their software.

In my extended family we have four Garmin GPS V units between us.

We got together and created a single file that has the unlock code(s) for each of the four GPS units. Mapsource allows you to add multiple unlock codes, and once all the codes are entered you can make a back up and share it.

Using the standard Mapsource back up file, all the codes are now stored in our respective copies of Mapsource. So we can now upload maps into any of the four GPS units from any of the four home computers.

Nifty, eh?