Uploading Geocache Notes Or Hints

:bad: I am using GSAK to upload my cache's. I thought I was going to be able to upload the hints or notes to the GPS. Could somebody please help me out?

It all depends upon the make and model of your GPS. Not all GPSs have the ability to store notes/comments. Many of the older models only allow for a waypoint code limited to 6 characters.

Please specify your make and model and I'm sure someone else will let you know if this feature is supported on your GPS.

So Clyde,

Does GSAK let you put the decrypted hints into the comment section for a 60cs?

This question should really be in the GSAK thread, but since we are here:

I must confess, I hadn't thought of adding hints as one of the %tags. Shouldn't be hard to do, so I will add in for the next release.

You can customize the note uploaded from gsak to your 60cs. The default is cache name and hider. To change the note do the following:

Click file -> export-> mapsource

the page that comes up will have a box near the lower right hand corner that says cache description format. This is where you can customize the note.

If you click help while on this screen and than click the "cache description format" box on the help screen you will get a popup w/ a link called, ironically "cache description format".

By clicking the link a list will be shown of all the ways to customize the output. They all begin with the % sign. For instance %dif is difficulty, %con is container.

My box says (%dif/%ter) %type cache %con size

So a cache w/ a difficulty of 2 and terrain of 3 , that is a multi cache with a regular size container shows up like this in my gps: (2/3) multi cache regular size. Any text not preceeded with a % will be displayed as entered.

So go ahead and give this a shot. GSAK is a wonderful program. Clyde has my undying gratitude.

I hope this helps. :bad:

Ok, I still need help. I don't know if I'm just plain stupid or the GPS is unable to put the notes. I did what you said and all I get is the name and who it's by. Could it be a memory problem? Is there any other software out there that can upload more notes or hints? When I purchased this I was under the impression that I would be able to upload all the info from a geocache site....did I spend over $400 for nothing? Also I am also using the MapSource with my 60cs. :rolleyes:

Teamrock,

The notes field on the 60c/s is currently limited to 30 charactors. Its barely enough to get the cache type, difficulty and terrain in. Here's my export settings.

%code Dif%Dif Ter%Ter %Con %typ

This barely fits. Note that I use code to give the GC waypoint name and then use smart names for the real waypoint name. It makes it easlier to locate when you hit the find button.

At present the 60c/s is does not have the capibilites to go paperless caching. It seems to me that with a small firmware change to increase number of charactors in the note, the 60c/s would come very close. If you are interested in helping get this and other firmware changes considered by Garmin read this

THREAD

Edited by Greg&Patty
At present the 60c/s is does not have the capibilites to go paperless caching.

While waiting for the firmware changes, I believe you can use most cell phones these days to do rudimentary web browsing - if you have a pretty decent phone, maybe the geocaching.com/wap site will work for you. It doesn't for me, because I have a cheap phone :rolleyes: but this one does: http://rtr.ca/geo

The notes field on the 60c/s is currently limited to 30 charactors. Its barely enough to get the cache type, difficulty and terrain in. Here's my export settings.

%code Dif%Dif Ter%Ter %Con %typ

This barely fits. Note that I use code to give the GC waypoint name and then use smart names for the real waypoint name. It makes it easlier to locate when you hit the find button.

Version 3 does help out a little here by introducing a few new tags. For example %con1 translates to the first character of the container only, thus saving space.

A full list of the supported %tags can be found here here