External Antenna

I got the re-radiator because I was just sick of plugging it in....unplugging it....plugging it in...

I didn't want to just leave the GPS on the dash because of theft concerns. With the re-radiator, it's just jump in the car, snap the gps in the holder and go.

Plus you can pass the GPS around the car, truck, motorhome etc without losing signal. The specs on mine are up to 30 ft.

I got the re-radiator because I was just sick of plugging it in....unplugging it....plugging it in...

I didn't want to just leave the GPS on the dash because of theft concerns.  With the re-radiator, it's just jump in the car, snap the gps in the holder and go.

Plus you can pass the GPS around the car, truck, motorhome etc without losing signal.  The specs on mine are up to 30 ft.

Which brand did you get Flash? I will need one also for my truck camper with an overhang over the cab. Queen size bed makes a long overhang.

Someone mentioned putting the antenna on the hood,but it still won't recieve good there of course. I'd like to put it on top of the camper permently and same with the transmittter. I would like to mount the tranmitter on the camper window inside. Maybe it will go though the rear cab window glass into the dash area. That way there I don't have to have any wires in the pickup at all,just in the camper. I can leave it in the camper all the time. I have power there also.I can fish the antenna wire up through the fridgevent to roof. I'll have WAAS alot that way.

How's that sound?

Edited by capt caper

With the picture above: I would personally go inside wiring to the top. A small 1/4 inch hole up top to mount a marine antenna. That way all the wiring is concealed inside. a hardware store should have grommet for a waterproof seal on the hole. Or if you use the proper antenna it'll mount through the hold and seal itself.

The battery re-radiator works ok but if you are going to do a perment install you should get the 12v Vortech. I say this because as the battery charge decrease, you'll get less re-radiating power. The 12V would eliminate any battery changes and wondering if it's time to change.

To get WAAS signals mounting it as high as possible with the least obstruction to the horizon will work best. I think the Vortech would work great for a camper like the one pictured above. No wires, mo batteries to change and you'll get to hold the GPS in your hand and pass it around the cabin if you want.

The best place to mount the re-radiator is in the front cabin, around the center ceiling. That requires the wiring to go inside the headliner though. It'll work great mounted behind the rear view mirror (that's were mine is), I hardly notice it.

I have an extra Vortech I can sell you. It has the Antenna, Amplifier/re-radiator, 12v power adapter.

Edited by FlashMaster

I bet you can get a larger GPS such as the Garmin 60C or a Magellan Platinum and it will pick up fine without an external antenna. The small Etrex line of GPS's have to small of an internal antenna to pick up good in some vehicles. Try and borrow someones larger GPS to see if my theory is correct. If I can pick up the satelites thru the little window on a commercial airline with my Platinum, you should be fine in with that motorhomes big front glass and side windows.

Edited by RockyRiver

RockyRiver is right. The Quad-Helix will pick up signals through the winsheild just fine if it can see the sat (about 30-40% of the sky is not visible through the windsheild). If your not having a problem with reception you really don't need an external.

An external antenna itself will work almost as good as the re-radiator (just not amplified).

The re-radiator is if you want to pick up ALL sats visible to the external Antenna and have it amplified to your GPS without a physical connection. I have pics posted of my V picking up signals just fine (minus a few sats out of sight). With the Re-Radiator turned on it picks up ALL sats at nearly full reception.

I figured if I'm going to spend $40 on a good GPS antena, might as well kick in an extra $25 for a re-radiator and have both.

RE: Camper Shell Truck

Personally I would go through the firewall into the Cab with the antenna cable. The antenna cable can be routed up to the side of the windsheild. Windsheilds have a rubber overlap onto the car body that can be used to wire the cable. (the cable that comes with the Vortech is thin).

I did that once with my Montero Sport I had. Routed positive through one side of the windsheild rubber and negative through the other. couldn't even see it. Esp because the MS had a rain gutter with a plastic track (accessory rack) running all the way to the windsheild.

Hope that helps!

Edited by FlashMaster