Using Gps To Locate Cache

I've been geocaching on and off (more off, than on) for about 2 years now, and I've always just used EasyGPS to transfer the cache waypoints to my etrex venture, but I've never really found a useful way of using them. I normally print out the coords on a peice of paper, map out the location to the forest preserve/park, and then when I get out of my car I just keep walking until the coords on the GPSr match the coords for the cache on the paper, and then start looking around for the cache. Is this how everyone does it? Just curious...

Also, what good is using "routes?"

EDIT - Sorry, I probably should've posted this in the newbie cacher area, please move the post if this is the case! B)

Edited by BrandonSi
when I get out of my car I just keep walking until the coords on the GPSr match the coords for the cache on the paper, and then start looking around for the cache.  Is this how everyone does it? Just curious...

Most modern GPS units have a compass screen which is very useful when geocaching. As you walk, the arrow on the compass screen will point you to the cache, and tell you how far away from the cache. I know for a fact that your ETrex has this screen. You should give it a try. MUCH, MUCH easier than looking at the raw coordinates. Man, you should have asked this question about 2 years ago. B)

--Marky

I have an eTrex Venture as well. If you have the waypoint loaded into your GPS, then:

• Push the Find button on the left side of the GPS.
  • Use the click-stick to select Waypoints from the list.
  • Use the click-stick to select By Name from the next list.
  • You will then be on the Find Waypoints screen and presented with the on-screen keyboard. Push the Page button on the right side of the GPS to get rid of the on-screen keyboard for now.
  • Use the click-stick to scroll down and select the waypoint from the list.
  • Use the click-stick to select the Goto button at the bottom of the screen.
  • You'll now be on the Navigation screen that looks like a compass. The arrow will point in the direction of the waypoint (cache) and the distance to it will be shown in the upper-right corner of the screen.

Definitely spend some quality time with your GPS's owners manual. Happy hunting!