Gps 60 Cs

i have the new cs and city select maps. everything is good and working great. i couldn't be happier. now, i'm looking for a good topo map that will give good detail. the 100k just doesn't look like enough detail for what i need. is there a 24k detail topo available for the 60cs? similar to the usgs maps? anyone's help is greatly appreciated. i'm in louisiana, so i need more detail for bayous, swamps, lakes... there is not a lot of elevation change, but the more detail, the better. thanks.

Garmin has 24K Topo maps of the national parks in the East and West. Neither of these cover Louisiana, which might be on the forthcoming 24K Topo Central maps, but I don't know. I own the 24K Topo East and I like it.

Keep in mind the Garmin 24K Topo maps are useful only if you do a lot of hiking in or near national parks. I hike a lot in Shenandoah and also Harpers Ferry WV (among other places). Both are fully covered by the 24K Topo East, so it was a good purchase for me. It has nearly all Shenandoah hiking trails and points of interest marked (waterfalls, cemeteries, cabins, ruins, etc.).

Also one more note -- even though the 24K Topo is national parks only, you might want to check the online viewer at Garmin's site to see if the areas you want are covered. For example, the places I hike in WV are not national parks, but they are close enough to the Appalachian Trail that the maps cover them.

[edit: Bampson was typing at the same time I was!] :lol:

Edited by 4x5shooter

Unfortunately, Garmin doesn't have any detailed topo software for us non-park users. Garmin's TOPO program shows NOTHING in my back forty and the land is not featureless. <_<

I sent an e-mail a few weeks ago suggesting better software. Maybe more letters will get them motivated to produce better software for the homebody users among us. :D

Scott

Edited by Scottyman

I purchased the MapSource US Topo 24K West and have to agree...if you aren't in an area that has good coverage you're kind of hosed. Today I purchased the MapSource United States Topo and it is great. Works great with the 60CS. Yippee...now I have routing for the trails!!

Sindigo