English Nature

According to this page, Martin Down is owned and run by Hampshire County Council and English Nature (with the exception of Kitts Grave which is held in trust and managed by EN).

HCC is strongly pro-geocaching. You can find their own geocaching guidelines here.

I don't know what EN's views, if any, are on caching, but this page tends to suggest that they wouldn't be completely opposed.

When you make contact with them, during the first contact with them make a offer of a site inspection with their reps. This is what I did when making my initial contact to a landowner whose land is a SSSI, for formal permission I had to have a site inspection with a rep from CCW. The Assembly body responsible for SSSIs in Wales. And don't forget to emphasise CITO to them from the start! This was one thing that greatly impressed both the landowner and the CCW rep. I have a Geocache Introduction Document, that has now been seen by the above, CADW (another part of the assembly) and Denbighshire County Council, to which I have had good feed back on. If you would like a copy, just contact me thru my profile to arrange a copy to be emailed to you in all its glory (it's in MS Word) and is 10 long. One last thing be prepared for a long haul if necessary, sometimes these things can take a while.

Dave.

just to keep you all up to date. finally managaed to get someone at the local english nature office on the phone. he's very pro having been caching with a friend (result). will be meeting in a couple of weeks to discuss placing the cache. i'll also then discuss making it a more formal nation wide agreement. here's hoping, i'll keep you informed.

just to keep you all up to date. finally managaed to get someone at the local english nature office on the phone. he's very pro having been caching with a friend (result). will be meeting in a couple of weeks to discuss placing the cache. i'll also then discuss making it a more formal nation wide agreement. here's hoping, i'll keep you informed.

Excellent stuff!! :D

If there's anything I can do to help just let me know.

can't think of any help i need right now but who knows after the meeting.

hopefully there wont be any problems with the martin down location. then if that goes well he'll hopefully support the approach to the national level.

don't worry if i feel i'm getting out of my depth i'll be here shouting for help! i'm not proud.

well cache placed yesterday will activate shortly after a couple of fine tunings with description that site manager is thinking about.

he's expecting to be able to make it a national agreement. firstly hoping to have agreement with wiltshire area, get someone else to place a cache at different site then when both have been running without problems the national agreement should be no problem.

should be able to just use same guidelines as with hampshire but with slight amendment of no cache prior to a meeting with the area manager for their approval. the way i did it was to explore the site, choose my various locations then go out with the site manager show him the spots and place the cache container with him. then he knows exactly where it is.

the only other requirement they will have is if they need to move it due to whatever reason then they will do so the cacher has to be able to disable the cache immediately. for instance if a rare flower blooms next to it etc.

so hopefully it'll be live very shortly

he's expecting to be able to make it a national agreement. firstly hoping to have agreement with wiltshire area, get someone else to place a cache at different site then when both have been running without problems the national agreement should be no problem.

That's fantastic news, well done. I'd be happy to place the second cache somewhere else around Wiltshire, just mail the details and I'll discuss where is appropriate.

We placed a cache in an English Nature site a few months ago but it has not been listed yet, mainly because I didn't chase the local manager for a written reply. He verbally agreed to us placing the cache but forgot to write to confirm.

I spoke to him today and he says that he attended a meeting two weeks ago at which geocaching was discussed in a very positive light. English Nature would like us to add a link to their website on any cache listing where the cache is on English Nature property.

English Nature homepage

Even better news, he is writing today, so I can mail a copy to Lactodorum and hopefully list the cache for next weekend. :lol:

We placed a cache in an English Nature site a few months ago but it has not been listed yet, mainly because I didn't chase the local manager for a written reply. He verbally agreed to us placing the cache but forgot to write to confirm.

I spoke to him today and he says that he attended a meeting two weeks ago at which geocaching was discussed in a very positive light. English Nature would like us to add a link to their website on any cache listing where the cache is on English Nature property.

English Nature homepage

Even better news, he is writing today, so I can mail a copy to Lactodorum and hopefully list the cache for next weekend. :lol:

Wonderful news. I'm looking forward to seeing his reply and hopefully we can get the cache listed ASAP.

:lol:

hi, go for it, anyone go to your local english nature site and start negotiations with the local managers.

they are keen to get people to use their sites just nervous of how our use will impact on the wildlife and so on. i reassured with cache in trash out and by taking the manager with me when i placed the cache he was able to see that the location would not impact on any wildlife and if there was a problem he knows exactly where it is.

i used the guidelines agreed with hampshire county council:

http://www.hants.gov.uk/geocaching/guidelines.hmtl

have fun dealing with them, as i say they are pro but can be slow to respond.

Have now discussed this with Nobby and discovered that one of my existing caches (Coate Water) is on an English Nature site. This particular one took several months to negotiate permission but the Rangers were (and are) very positive about geocaching. Nobby is going to use this as the other example required and is hopeful that we can now move this forwards.

goes without saying, thanks to all those who have helped with input and examples etc. i'm not quite out of my depth but have certainly benefitted by the help received. at end of day i'm not doing it for the praise or kudos, purely selfish reasons. the more places we have permission the more potential caches i have to do. i don't do it for the numbers just the views and so on.

thanks again.

ok i know i shouldn't self promote and i know it's a long walk but i'm going to need more than one person to visit this cache to show how responsible we are!!

go on the weather's nice get out there and do "stop and smell the roses 2" on martin down. then when a few have visited i can say look we've had loads of visitors and no damage. then we've evidence for proper countrywide agreement.

sorry to nag.

happy caching

When researching English Nature and SSSI's for our "Enigma: Mission 1" cache at Monk's Wood, I found that there are a few existing caches on English Nature land and some of those on SSSI's. I wonder if the owners know, and whether they went through the process.

I am currently waiting for a reply from the site manager at another English Nature (SSSI) property before placing a new cache.

Monk's wood has had 7 finds and 1 DNF so far, in addition to our several trips to set it up and there's no sign that anyone has ever been there!