What Kind Of Cache Would I List This As?

Team Lyons

I'm working on a cache that's going to be a bug house. The first stage will be a code that the cache will have to crack in order to get the coords for the second stage. The second stage will be some sort of small marker with the final coords engraved into it. Would I list this as a puzzle or a multi cache?

Thanks.

I would say since you have real coordinates for the first stage, it should be a multi-cache. The raw definitions (below) seem to indicate a wide latitude (pun intended) for multi-caches. Mystery caches would be ones that didn't really have a start point or ones that required a puzzle to get the start coordinates. Just spell it all out in the cache description and you should be in good shape!

A multi-cache ("multiple") involves two or more locations, the final location being a physical container. There are many variations, but most multi-caches have a hint to find the second cache, and the second cache has hints to the third, and so on. An offset cache (where you go to a location and get hints to the actual cache) is considered a multi-cache.
The “catch-all” of cache types, this form of cache can involve complicated puzzles you will first need to solve to determine the coordinates. The only commonality of this cache type is that the coordinates listed are not of the actual cache location but a general reference point, such as a nearby parking location. Due to the increasing creativity of geocaching this becomes the staging ground for new and unique challenges.

It depends....

if the starting coords are bogus...it's a puzzle.

If the starting coords tgake you to a cache container of some sort and it has a puzzle...it's a multicache.

For example, I have a multicache that is 4 stages. The third stage is a puzzle.

Pretty straight forward. If coords are bogus....puzzle, if legit....multi.

...The first stage will be a code that the cache will have to crack in order to get the coords for the second stage...

So this code will be on the cache description page? If so, definitely a puzzle, but mentioning that it's a multi-stage cache in the description would be good.

If I understand you, you want to make this a Travel bug "hotel" cache. Most Bug hotel caches (in this area, that I know of), are quick easy, near a freeway or two, caches to encourage frequent visits. I don't know if that's what you have in mind or not, just thought I'd mention it.

Also since you are in PA, you may have meant to post this in the "Northeast" forum, instead of the "Northwest" but I may be wrong.

For the record, it is not fair to the travel bugs to make a travel bug hotel very difficult to find. Folks from out of the area who need to do a quick drop-off are hampered, and the bugs aren't helped very much.

There is another thread in the Travel Bug forum complaining about a cache like that, and advising folks to avoid using that cache as a TB hotel for that very reason.

...The first stage will be a code that the cache will have to crack in order to get the coords for the second stage...

So this code will be on the cache description page? If so, definitely a puzzle, but mentioning that it's a multi-stage cache in the description would be good.

If I understand you, you want to make this a Travel bug "hotel" cache. Most Bug hotel caches (in this area, that I know of), are quick easy, near a freeway or two, caches to encourage frequent visits. I don't know if that's what you have in mind or not, just thought I'd mention it.

Also since you are in PA, you may have meant to post this in the "Northeast" forum, instead of the "Northwest" but I may be wrong.

Good point about the bug house being too hard to find. I figured that if I make it harder to find that the chances of it being looted will be minimal.

This is the board I wanted to be on because not many people from my area visit here.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I guess I'll make it a plain old puzzle cache.