Marking Or Flagging Finds

Clyde1140

Is it appropriate to mark a find, especially one that has not been recovered or used in many, many years, with flagging tape or one of those small surveying flags, in order to hopefully make it easier for future users and identify the location to those doing grading etc?

I didn't jump in on the earlier threads but scanned them quiclky. I see no reason, whatsoever, that benchmark hunters should put temporary flagging at a benchmark. Future benchmark hunters can find it the same way the original finder did.

Not sure what I think about setting permanent witness posts which was discussed in those threads but I would not feel comfortable doing that either. Legality of that action should be looked into. Maybe it has been and I missed it.

I would limit any action to the removing of trash and clearing of overgrowth so that the mark is readable. If the page lists it as being under the ground, then it should be returned to the state it was found in.

I concur with this 100%. However, on one occasion in particular (see: LY2731) I decided to replace the missing witness post (no signage) because of the difficulty in locating and accessing the station and its reference marks. The station is right smack in the middle of a large woodlot with very thick undergrowth and briars. There are no track roads or footpaths in or out. All marks were covered over with soil and forest duff and will probably end up that way again in a short time. The original witness post was missing and I felt it was better in this situation to replace it with something quick and simple. Otherwise I prefer to leave things exactly as I found them. If there are significant changes from the historical description I will make an effort to update the directions and take measurements and bearing to new reference objects and include this information in the NGS recovery reports.

Cheers ...

I would limit any action to the removing of trash and clearing of overgrowth so that the mark is readable.  If the page lists it as being under the ground, then it should be returned to the state it was found in.

There are exceptions. I have several times located non-triangulation marks that were said to be level with the surface but due to floods or whatever, I have uncovered them and left them uncovered. Triangulation stations are frequently below the surface with a surface marker. If the surface mark has been destroyed and the actual station exposed, or a hole dug down to near its surface, then I will clean out the hole.

Edited by Colorado Papa

WITHIN WALLA WALLA COUNTY WASHINGTON, I HAVE "FLAGGED" MY FINDS WITH PINK FLORESENT MARKING TAPE. SAID MARKING IS ONLY IF NO OTHER SUCH MARKERS ARE PRESENT. I HAVE NEVER INTERFERED WITH EXISTING STREAMERS. THE ONLY PURPOSE IN SAID FLAGGING IS A VISUAL "PING" BACK TO ME THAT SAID SITE HAS BEEN PREVIOUSLY "TAGGED AND BAGGED".

Use care when flagging, painting or otherwise marking the location. We at the DOT would often get complaints about this very thing. Often is was because of one of our crews but on occasion it was done by someone else. I recall one of our office bigwigs toured one stretch of road slated for improvements. He was irate over the flagging in the trees and the paint and stakes. Lucky for us this was work done by consultants. My boss had to advise them to curtail this eye food as it was having a negative effect on the public opinion of the DOT, a number of complaints were received from the public, some really upset. Having things all marked up along the roadside is an eye sore.

Just don't do it if you would feel you would not like to see this on your street etc. Sometimes the old saying, "Out of sight, out of mind" is best rule to follow.

Edited by elcamino