Garmin Legend Vs Vista

I already have a gps that hubby bought a few years ago, but since discovering geocaching I am ready to upgrade and buy a new one. We were looking at the Garmin Legend and the Vista today and comparing the 2. Our gps that we have now has a compass page that shows which direction we are heading. (Perfect for me since I get turned around alot! LOL) The Garmin website says that the Vista has a compass feature, but I can't find any information to say if the Legend does or not. I don't really think I need the barometor feature or the huge memory that the Vista offers- but I would like to keep the compass feature when upgrading. Can anyone tell me if the Legend has the compass? If you own the Legend, do you like it? Pros, cons? Thanks in advance for any help!

I have a Vista and it has a magnetic compass; the Legend does not although it will show you the direction if you are moving (It will determine that from the satellites but the Voista will tell you direcetion at all times because of the magnetic compass). Vista has 3 times the memory 24 meg vs 8 as well as the altimeter. The memory is important to me.

You might consider getting the 60cs a new model with more than double the Vista memory and a color display. Vista is an older model but if you can get by with it you should be able to get a good price for a second hand.

Good luck

ALan

The legend has a compass page, like all GPS's, but not an electronic compass. With the Legend you need to be moving to show proper direction as it is based on the satellite fix, with the Vista you can be standing still and it will still show you proper compass direction as it has a true electronic compass.

I have an eTrex Legend and found that the 8mb memory is a bit short for displaying topo maps. It will only hold about 1/4 of the state of Michigan. I'm not sure how it would handle a more urban area than where I live.

I think I would opt for the Vista, or one of the newer ones with more memory. As for the compass feature, I wouldn't be caught dead in the woods without a magnetic compass.

I use the magnetic compass on my Vista all the time. It's great when you're getting close to the cache. The memory is also important to me - I have Metroguide maps for the entire state of Utah installed, and topo maps for about 1/3 of the state. I don't really use the altimeter and it's generally so close to the GPS altitude measurement that it seems redundant.

Thank you all for the replies! They have been extremely helpful. I hadn't heard of the 60c or 60cs, but did some research last night on both of them. I hadn't planned on spending that much money, but they look great. Maybe I will save for another month (and wait till the 60cs arrives in stores...) and take a look at getting one of those. The one we have now is a cheepie we bought from Walmart- it does its job, I haven't had any problems, but I think I would like a more um.... "professional" one. :)

Thanks again so much for your help!

I was thinking of upgrading my Vista to a 60CS until my organizer broke. Then when I went looking for a replacement, I wound up gettimng a Pocket PC PDA. I added autorouting and NG POcket Topo with a SD GPS that plugs in. So now I have a full color display (like the iQue) with auto routing 24K topo maps and complete non-pape caching using GSAK and GPSSonar and other free routines.

ANd I have a great orgainzer for work too.

It's a pricey set up but the 60CS is pricey too.

Alan

If you want a GPS with a built in compass, My choice would be the Magellan Sport track Pro. The Magellan compass is a triaxial compass, this means you do not have to hold the GPS level in order for it to give you a good compass reading. If you tilt a Garmin GPS you will not get an accurate compass reading. Of course then you could also buy a base plate compass for less than $10.00 and save about $100.00 that you can spend on software.

Then again the magellan has a better antenna than the e-trex.

If you want a GPS with a built in compass, My choice would be the Magellan Sport track Pro. The Magellan compass is a triaxial compass, this means you do not have to hold the GPS level in order for it to give you a good compass reading. If you tilt a Garmin GPS you will not get an accurate compass reading. Of course then you could also buy a base plate compass for less than $10.00 and save about $100.00 that you can spend on software.

Then again the magellan has a better antenna than the e-trex.

The Sport Track Pro I'm familiar with you have to be moving for the compass to work. That tells me that it doesn't have an electronic compass, or that it's not turned on in the one I"ve used.

Honestly, I'd go for the unit with the most memory (Vista vs Legend). I have a Legend now and am pretty happy, but I do sometimes have memory limitations loading maps down for cities that I visit. It would be nice to have the extra memory.

The Legend doesn't have a 'compass' that works when you're standing still or moving very slowly. Hence you need to carry a regular compass for caching, although others would probably suggest that as a backup if you're in a heavily wooded area, or batteries die, etc.