Preview Of A Cache Log

martmann

I like the "Preview" function on the forum post page. Can we get a preview function for cache logs? For the same reason, to check links, and formatting. I know you can sneak a few edits in without getting the "...edited..." note at the bottom of the log entry, but a preview would be better.

If not, no big.

Everything I've seen concerning the Forum features have been answered with the standard reply that the software is limited in what can be changed, if anything.

But, I too would appreciate a "preview" screen....or, just a bigger window to type in. I am constantly corrected typos just because I can't see the words.

Everything I've seen concerning the Forum features have been answered with the standard reply that the software is limited in what can be changed, if anything.

But, I too would appreciate a "preview" screen....or, just a bigger window to type in. I am constantly corrected typos just because I can't see the words.

I think you misread the original post.

The forum software already HAS a preview post button.

Martmann is asking if such a feature could be added to the cache logs.

Not a bad idea, but like Hemlock stated, since you can edit the log for a few minutes before geting the dreaded "edited by XXX on time date" tag, you can sort of already use that as a preview. Still, if it's easy to add, I guess it couldn't hurt.

BINGO Mopar.

I just did a test to see when the watchlist email is sent for a new cache log entry. As I figured it is sent when you first log, so subsequent edits don't go out.

For most of my watched caches, I only read the email of the log, instead of going to the cache description page.

A preview function would let you edit a log entry before the watchlist email goes out. Not a big deal, but it would be nice.

As for the preview in the forums, I have an LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1280x1024. If you use any other resolution than the native, on an LCD, the display looks like crap.

I've noticed a lot of tech web sites (and a lot of other web sites) are migrating to non-sizable text on their sites, optimized for 800x600 or 1024x768, even though the chances that their target audience are using these resolutions are slim.

Why everyone is doing this, just as the need for sizable text is getting huge (LCD monitors are expected to outsell CRTs this year, for the first time), is a mystery, and it sux!

They used to have sizable text, just like the old forums used to have sizable text.

When Groundspeak first changed over to the new forums a few months back, they had un-sizable text. After some requests, by myself and others, to go back to sizable text for the forums, Jeremy added an alternate skin, that you could select in your profile, that would let you have sizable text, which ROCKS! The skin lets you resize text everywhere in the forums, except in the add a post page, where the text is still pretty small on higher resolution monitors. So I use the preview for that all the time, just like jbhooker3 apparently does.

I've noticed a lot of tech web sites (and a lot of other web sites) are migrating to non-sizable text on their sites, optimized for 800x600 or 1024x768, even though the chances that their target audience are using these resolutions are slim.

Often this has to do with web site designers (who don't know any better) locking down text sizes with overzealous and inappropriate use of cascading-style-sheets or blatant font sizing. This prevents the browser from being able to resize the text when requested.

None of these sites would pass the handicap-accessible requirements for software purchased by the US Federal Government, which is a pretty decent overall standard in a lot of ways.

Just about every news website has this same problem, although I noticed CNN has recently changed to be more text-resizing-friendly. Yay!