Email Accounts

res2100

I was just thinking this evening and I thought it would be cool if the users here could have their own geocaching.com email account. userABC@geocaching.com or userABC@gc.com. I wonder if a lot of people would go for it.

Some of the benefits I could see is that everytime someone sends an email it attaches a line of text at the end (like Yahoo does) with some advertising for geocaching.com. Plus when people get the emails, they would wonder what geocaching.com is and this might get some more people into the sport.

Perhaps have a 2-tiered system too, such as 3 MB free mail or 25mb for premium members.

Jeremy, u seem to know what your talking agout and for some reason I have not been able to contact Groundspeak so I have a question for u. I did upgrade to premium membership but I dont remeber getting the e-mail with the password so I am still not registered as a premium member (with no benefits) and the 3$ is being deducted from my account. Whats the problems and how can I fix this??? :rolleyes:

I, for one, don't think that geocaching should ever pick up email addresses. Reminds me of back in the day when you had to sign up at Yahoo for something, and they tacked on an email account for free. Most, if not all users already have email accounts. I have 3 - Hotmail, Gmail, and one from the University that they make me have, and it is hard enough to keep track of all of them.

I have a Yahoo! email account I never use and the last time I went there I found over 1000 spam emails. Yahoo! told me my mailbox was full and couldn't accept any more messages. Talk about reinforcing behavior!  B)

I do the same thing. Whenever I have to submit an e-mail address for whatever reason, I always use my "dummy" account. Let the spam congregate in one meaningless location.