How Do I??

Geo-Trekker

Evening Folks,

Got a question - How does one go about searching for specific text on a cache page (Namely Locationless caches) in order to determine whether or not a geocacher has already logged a find at a location for that cache. It's kinda timely to read all the logs (Especially when there's over 40 - Try 400!).

Is there any other way around this?

Cheers,

Geo-Trekker

If I understand correctly, you're asking how to find a text word or phrase on a currently displayed webpage? If so, the google toolbar is by far the best tool I've found for this. Download it here (requires Internet Explorer): Google Toolbar.

Once you've installed it, you'll get a toolbar in IE that will let you add a word inside a text box (among many other features). When you've added the word, you'll notice the word becomes a button on the bar. Click the button and you'll jump right to the next occurrence of that word on the currently displayed page. Tip: add quotes to make a single button for a string ie "like this".

So for you, pull up the cache page, show all logs on one page, wait the five minutes for 400 logs to be displayed :D , add the word or phrase you're looking for in the google bar, and click the button. You'll jump right to it if its there.

That do what you're asking?

PS: the built in find feature of ie will work too, but it doesn't have near the feature set of the google bar. I pretty much use it religiously now.

Edited by CacheCreatures
1) bring up the page

2) click on "show all logs" (or whatever that is - I've forgotten and don't want to deal with the busy server just to look it up.)

3) In Internet Explorer (and most other browsers) click on edit -> find and type in your text.

To search within the text>>> Ctrl V

1) bring up the page

2) click on "show all logs" (or whatever that is - I've forgotten and don't want to deal with the busy server just to look it up.)

3) In Internet Explorer (and most other browsers) click on edit -> find and type in your text.

To search within the text>>> Ctrl V

Wouldn't that be ALT+F4... errrr, I mean CTRL+F :D

Edited by Mopar

As stated above: click on Show All Logs then hit Ctl-F (for find).

Lat & Long are the only constant for locationless find logs. I search for the the degree of latitude only such as 39 for 39 degrees. This will give you every 39 that has been posted such as 39 finds, 39 minutes (as in time), etc but these are easily passed by. Whenever the latitude you are searching for pops up you quickly look at the longitude to see if it is yours, if not advance to the next one. This search can be done in under 60 seconds.

Google Tool bar has a text highlighter. It's not really a search feature. However it highlights the specified text yellow. Then scroll the logs to easily see the text.

Type in your text, don't click enter though. Click on highlight button. All your text is highlighted on the page. Very simple.

The tool bar has many cool features too. I really appreciate the pop-up blocker.

http://toolbar.google.com/