Newbie Gps Question

madmoojuice

First off, let me say...HI ALL! I've been watching the geocaching sites for a while now, but have only just decided to buy some equipement and start searching and sharing! Sounds like fun, cant wait to start.

My question is, can I hook 'any' GPS unit to a laptop, or should I look specifically for this feature? Reason being, I am also looking to install a custom built computer in my car, with navigational features/software and I would like to be able to hook a GPS unit up to this. I'm a penny-pincher, so buying a GPS system for the car, and also a seperate, walk-around model just doesn't fit my pinching practices! :lol: Thanks in advance for any help anyone can afford.

Art

*just about* any modern GPSr will work for you. The two things you need in order to accomplish what you want to do are:

1. PC cable capability - duh.

2. It must be able to communicate with the PC using the NMEA protocol, which is the standard GPS data protocol and is how most software communicates with a receiver. This shouldn't be a problem if you buy a newer unit, but if you're buying an off-brand (anything other than Garmin/Magellan), you'll want to verify that it does this.

Keep us posted - this could be a cool project to see develop.

Edit: Oh yeah - take lots of pictures!!! :lol:

Edited by Cruzin

I think that's one of a LONNNNNNNNNNNNG list of issues with the Cobra brand. Stay away from Cobra anyway - even if connectivity is not an issue! :lol:

I don't think the Gecko 101 has an interface either (but I could be wrong).

All of the Etrex models DO have a serial data port.

Bottom line, the most basic models may lack a data transfer port. You should check specifications (available on the manufacturer's Web site). If it is not clear in the specifications, consult the manual which should also be available on their site.

In thinking more about the "big picture" of your project, another issue might be getting a good signal to your GPSr through the windshield or dash or where ever you decide to mount the GPSr. This can be a problem on some later model vehicles. You may want to consider a model that has an external antenna connection. This would allow you to mount an antenna on the outside of your car, and run the cable into the car to a possibly semi-permanently mounted GPSr. Although production of this model has been discontinued, the Garmin eMap is a pretty good and prooven contender. It can be had on eBay for about $70 to $80 for the basic unit.

The 12Map, 12XL, GPS 48, GPS 76 are all models with the external antenna jack. Most have been discontinued as well.

...Just 2¢ worth of my input

Being a computer person, this was the feature that I most wanted. I couldn't see paying $1000 for a GPS with a nice color screen so I went the laptop route. I bought the Earthmate and hooked it to my laptop. While the product itself does work well and the laptop screen is easy to read, it doesn't work well for geocaching.

After one day of geocaching with the laptop, I am now in the market for a handheld GPS that may be used just for the "last mile" on the cache hunt.

Ron