Garmin Gps-map 60c Owners...

GARMIN GPS-MAP 60C owners... you have had your units for a few weeks now. So lets hear it.... Are you glad you got it, or are you disappointed? Lets hear your thoughts.

I am still using my 3 month old Vista, and wishing I had waited two weeks before buying it so I could have waited for the 60CS. Not to worry, someone will get a good deal on an almost new Vista!

Are you glad you got it, or are you disappointed?

Yes and yes.

I'm glad I got it, but it has a glitch which apparently requires sending back to Garmin to be fixed or replaced. I'm going to need to use the autorouting feature a few times in the near future, so I can't do without it long enough to send it back. So, I am a little disappointed too. Also, now I hear that other models are coming out too! The GPSMAP 76C would've been a serious contender with its extra memory, and talk of a GPS VI is compelling. Still, overall I am happy with my decision to buy the 60C! I was like a 7-year-old two days before Christmas when I was waiting for this thing to arrive, and my expectations were not let down when I got it. It's been a long time since I've felt that way about anything :(

I am very happy with mine.

The display is nice, and I love the ability to download maps in a minute via USB instead of waiting forever for the serial transfer.

I have only tried the autorouting twice (and it wasn't one of the reasons I upgraded from my Legend), and both times it produced a very stupid route. It seemed to have much too strong a preference for "highways", diverting me a few km out of my way, and forcing me down Yonge Street (the "main drag" in Toronto, officially Highway 11, but usually a street to avoid if you're trying to go a fair distance across town).

I just tried doing one of them in Mapsource on my PC, and got a less stupid route, so it does seem there is something a little wonky about the autorouting. But my experience may be a local little glitch.

There are preference settings in both MapSource and the GPSr pertaining to autorouting - things like "Avoid Highways", "Avoid U-Turns" and "Avoid Toll Roads". If you set those to your liking, you'll appreciate it more.

I love mine, but I just received City select today and unlocked it, but it wont let me autoroute and Garmin is closed.........ARGHHHHHHHHH. Is there a setting in mapsource somewhere that lets you decide whether or not to upload the autorouting data?

love-smiley-041.gif

Do you feel my pain?!?!? :(

Nono.. The smiley was in response to the original post in the topic.

I was just looking for the "Include routing data" option, but can't find it for some reason. I seem to remember it as being a checkbox in the upload dialog, but it's not there now. I'm going to keep digging.

love-smiley-041.gif

Do you feel my pain?!?!? :(

Nono.. The smiley was in response to the original post in the topic.

I was just looking for the "Include routing data" option, but can't find it for some reason. I seem to remember it as being a checkbox in the upload dialog, but it's not there now. I'm going to keep digging.

Ahhh found it in the lower left....Say a prayer..I am going to test it.....

Ahhh found it in the lower left....Say a prayer..I am going to test it.....

Doh! And after I went to all this trouble, too... :(

:o Ouch well I appreciate all the trouble and it autoroutes, and now I am as happy as can be with my 60c and I love it again. I was cussing Garmin up and down less than 5 mins ago though! Cruzin I owe you a screenshot!

Edited by Volwrath

Cruzin, Here is the screenshot to make up for the earlier one. This shows how much storage space 56 Megs allow. This is filled to the brim with autorouting. As can be seen, major cities include Nashville, Atlanta, Memphis, Birmingham, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Lexington & Louisville, plus the rest of the state of TN, plus the basemap. I can't imagine EVER needing this much data. So I am now very happy with my 60C

I'm still awaiting delivery of City Select, so I can't speak about auto-routing :(

All in all, I'm very, very pleased with the 60c. One problem I do have is when using the "Find" option. If I try to Find by Name, it either can't find the name...or finds the name, then places it out of view and I have to scroll back up to it. I think someone mentioned this problem in an earlier thread. It's very frustrating as I use Find very frequently. Anyone else had this problem?

GARMIN GPS-MAP 60C owners... you have had your units for a few weeks now. So lets hear it.... Are you glad you got it, or are you disappointed? Lets hear your thoughts.

I am still using my 3 month old Vista, and wishing I had waited two weeks before buying it so I could have waited for the 60CS. Not to worry, someone will get a good deal on an almost new Vista!

With the way your son or should I say the Iraqies are smashing those GPS's over there I bet your son will get a new vista :o . I say you will get that 60CS and your son will get a care package from old dad. :( . That way you don't feel guilty buying yourself that new 60CS

Cruzin, Here is the screenshot to make up for the earlier one. This shows how much storage space 56 Megs allow. This is filled to the brim with autorouting. As can be seen, major cities include Nashville, Atlanta, Memphis, Birmingham, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Lexington & Louisville, plus the rest of the state of TN, plus the basemap. I can't imagine EVER needing this much data. So I am now very happy with my 60C

Dang! You guys don't have many streets out there, do you?! :(

I can't even get all of Southern California into 56mb, although if I ever go outside the area I've got loaded, I'll likely be on an overnight trip and would be bringing my laptop with me, so updating the map set wouldn't be a problem.

My map set.

I am still using my 3 month old Vista, and wishing I had waited two weeks before buying it so I could have waited for the 60CS.  Not to worry, someone will get a good deal on an almost new Vista!

With the way your son or should I say the Iraqies are smashing those GPS's over there I bet your son will get a new vista :o . I say you will get that 60CS and your son will get a care package from old dad. :( . That way you don't feel guilty buying yourself that new 60CS

Actually, NOT. For a couple of reasons.

#1. While my son likes the Vista, it does not have the battery life that the Venture has. This is why he wanted another Venture, or rather even a Yellow, than the Vista. This I can understand.

#2. We are holding our breaths here, there is an unconfirmed rumor that my son will be released from combat duties to return to Ft. Carson in early March. Of course, nothing official, and it can change in a moment. Still, it would be about 6 weeks early.

Soooo...

#3. There isn't time enough for mail to catch up to him at this point. If he breaks one now, he will be without.

However, if he gets home and does want the Vista, we can do that.

Thanks for thinking of him. :o

Thanks guys for all the great reports.

I took my lunch break at the Ft. Bliss PX yesterday. I met with the electronics and outdoors department managers and gave them a print-out of the Garmin 60CS. They will try to get some as quickly as possible. And with the usual PX prices, it will be worth the wait. I think.....

If this is sucessful, I will post it here so other vetrans and active duty folks can do the same.

Y-all have a great weekend.