Who Is Watching A Cache?

The Blue Quasar

I was wondering if there is a way to find out what accounts are watching a cache.

I do think that the owner of the cache should be the only one to have this information, unless someone can come up with a reason for it to be public knowlegde.

I think this would be handy especially for Event Caches. That way it would be easy to find out how many people to expect, etc.

The addition of the "Travel Bug History" was a great help, and I think that this could be useful as well.

Any way that this can be done?

Any thoughts for or against it?

:D The Blue Quasar

(I would love this information regarding my event cache GCHH3Q as there are over 40 accounts watching it now)

People watch caches for different reasons. Not everyone who watches a cache plans on finding it (even events). I have several on my watch list that I've only read about in the forums. They looked interesting and I wanted to read the logs as they came up. I also have one on my watch list that needs to be retrieved. If someone gets to it before I do I won't waste a trip.

This has to be one of the "Top Ten" repeat feature requests. The most recent discussion is just 24 topics down on this forum page.

Personally, I could care less who is watching one of my traditional caches. I, too, watch various caches for various reasons, not all of which make sense. It just isn't meaningful information.

On the other hand, for event caches, having a list would be very useful to me as an event organizer. While 24 accounts may have left "I will attend" notes on the event page, there may only be 18 accounts watching the cache. So, if I leave a note on the cache page saying that the location's been changed from Picnic Shelter 6 to Picnic Shelter 2, I worry that people won't find out about the change. So I not only post the change on the page, but I also send e-mail notices. Here, it would be useful to have some sort of a mailing list feature, like "send notice to everyone who has RSVP'd that they will attend." I could then send a single e-mail that would reach everyone, rather than 24 copies of the same e-mail.

...It just isn't meaningful information...

I'd get a kick out of knowing and that makes it meaningful. Just because you don't do it by any reason that makes sence doesn't mean that I'd not enjoy knowing that for some obscure reason you were watching my cache.

If you don't watch a cache for any 'meaningfull reason' but you still watch them just the same it stands to 'non meaningful reason' that cache owners should be able to do the same.

Reminds me of an episode of Dexters Lap. "The purpose of meaning"

P.S. Until they add this feature you can always post a note to the cache and ask "who's watching my cache page?" You might get a bite or two.

Oops... sorry for repeating a topic. It was late and I did a search for "Watch Cache" and didn't get any matches. That lead me to think it hasn't come up before.

I guess then it seems that there has been interest in this idea before and if it keeps getting restated then maybe it is something that TPTB could look into.

The reasons all of you posted were the same as mine. To inform people, general curiousity and such.

Just another idea for my "wish list"

:( The Blue Quasar

Oops... sorry for repeating a topic.  It was late and I did a search for "Watch Cache" and didn't get any matches.  That lead me to think it hasn't come up before.

I guess then it seems that there has been interest in this idea before and if it keeps getting restated then maybe it is something that TPTB could look into.

The reasons all of you posted were the same as mine.  To inform people, general curiousity and such.

As you can see here, it's pretty easy to find.

There are very good reasons not to do this. Here's just one. Some people get really P.O.ed when they have a cache plundered. Having access to the names on a watch list just give them a convenient list of people they can start throwing accusations at.

Would you add a cache to your watch list, if you thought you'd have to incur abusive emails, should anything ever happen to the cache?

(And this is not a hypothetical - over the years, several of the people who have asked for this ability have wanted it because they've had a cache plundered.)

This is just one of several reasons to not make it available. I've yet to see a single good reason to make it available. I don't consider idle curiosity a good reason.

Edited by Prime Suspect